Author Topic: Blounts Hosiery Factory, Belper  (Read 19478 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Blounts Hosiery Factory, Belper
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 December 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anita,

Thanks your bit of information:-
"Aunt Laura (1996/99) her telling me that she worked in the factory Cheveing, she used to embroider the then King's hosiery."

explains all, if she was chevening stockings for the Royal Family, then she would have been working
either at home or if after 1910 in the Chevening Room at Brettles who supplied hose to the Royal Household, Blounts did not supply hosiery to the Royal Family.

Thanks
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline 141

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 December 11 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Spendlove, thanks for that information, if I remember rightly she said it was during the 30's that she was doing it.
Sadly there is no one to ask now as they have passed away but I will keep on looking.
Anita

Offline jillb54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 January 12 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :) i'm new to Rootschat but was fascinated tonight to find the information about Blount's Hosiery Factory in Belper. I've just come from viiting my father in law, a Blount, whose whole family (parents, brother and sister and himself) worked at Blounts in the 1940's after the war when the factory was given back by Rolls Royce. He has alwaya been under the impression that his grandfather, Jon George Blount (born about 1877) was the cousin of Fred Blount who started the factory.
However, there are so many Blounts in belper, all with the same names, that it' s very difficult to work out who was related to who ???

I'm now beginning to think I've got the wrong branch of Blounts in my records - the info I have gathered shows John george's father and mother as James and Elizabeth and it looks like James's father was  a John Blount, married to a Sarah.

It may be that this John Blount (born about 1822/3) was the brother of George, who fathered Frederick in 1877, so my father-in-law could be related, but i think i need to do more research!! My father-in-law wroked with Aunty Laurain Blounts factory. Any info welcome!!

Offline 141

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 January 12 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi :), I am also finding it difficult to locate the right line of BLOUNTS so many twist and turns and yes there are so many BLOUNTS in Belper.
What is your father-in-laws given names and date of birth also his parents, as he is a BLOUNT you may find him beneficial to your cause.
I have a John BLOUNT married to a Charlotte SMEDLEY in 1814 who had a son James who could be in the same line as you are following, I am searching this from Queensland Australia and i find it very difficult as the family I knew in Belper have all passed on.
Look forward to your reply.
Anita.

Offline jillb54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 January 12 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi 141 :)
Thanks for your reply. You've prompted me to spend some time checking through census information and I think I've found evidence that my father-in-laws family are related to Fred Blount who started the Blounts Factory!
The John and Charlotte that you mention, as well as having their son James, also had John and George as other sons. This John Blount is my husbands GGG Grandfather = he had a son James, who had a son, JOhn, who had Dennis, who had Peter my father in law. John and Charlottes son George  Blount is the father of Fred Blount who started the factory - I think that means that James (son of John born c. 1824/25)  and Fred were cousins so I can at last tell my father-in-law that they were related to the founder of the Blounts factory!! 8)
Hope that makes sense to you - I'm even confused typing it!!

Offline 141

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 January 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jillb54  :)
Thank you for your quick reply, once you get involved with Genealogy it becomes fascinating.
With your reply that would make John & Charlotte also my GGG Grandfather his son George had a son Henry who had a son George William who had two children Laura 1901 and my father Arnold 1922 by his first wife Evelyn Iris Cook who died May 1945, George William had other children they are
May b. 1904
Stanley b 1907
Leslie b 1908
Ada b 1901
At this stage I have been unable to locate any births between Ada and Arnold.
Laura had a daughter Dorothy who married Peter Marsh and lived in Belper Lane, we were in constant touch until Xmas 2005 she was a lovely lady and it seems her and her husband have completely disappeared.
Arnold remarried in 1948 and had five more children they are
Carol b 1945
Marlene b 1946
Sonia b 1948
Keith b 1952
Gary b 1956
I have met Carol and Gary, it would be nice to try and tidy up all loose ends.
Hope you can make head or tails of this best of luck.
Until next time
Regards
Anita 141  :)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anita 141,

Very sorry to have to tell you that both Peter & Dorothy Marsh have died, Peter in 07 and Dorothy 09.

The following are connections to their Obituary in the Derby Evening Telegraph:-

http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/5129726?s_source=clmi_innd

http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/5623770

Regards
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline 141

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spendlove,
Thank you so much for the information regarding Peter & Dorothy Marsh,we were both saddened by their passing so thoughtful of you as I have half sisters and brothers in the area and in contact with one of them and questions have been asked about the Marsh's but answers have been avoided, once again thank you very much.
Anita 141

Offline Jules Holland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 November 12 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anita, Jill and Spendlove

Well, after nearly a year I decided to log back onto this website, how remiss of me to forget about it.

It's great to see your replies on Blounts Hosiery in Belper and it seems we are related.  My Grandmother's mother was the sister-in-law of Fred Blount who started Blounts factory. 

You're right, so many Blounts in Belper but I think I've got our tree sorted out, which I'm sure you have by now as well. I keep the tree on another website starting from John and Charlotte who are my 4 x Gr Grandparents. I can PM you the website as I don't think I'm meant to advertise on here.  We might already be linked on it. Would be great to here from you all anyway.

Anita - sorry to hear that your relatives have passed away.

Also, Spendlove - I wonder if you could elaborate on the note of caution you originally posted, "Blount is a very common name in this area and not all were/are related to each other." I'm trying to trace the tree back further than  John and Charlotte and have come to a dead end.  I wonder if you can help at all.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Julie
Holland, Blount, Sheldon