Author Topic: Female Imigration Scheme. & Family Colonisation Loan Society.  (Read 11745 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: Female Imigration Scheme. & Family Colonisation Loan Society.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 March 09 09:24 GMT (UK) »
OK.
What the Wiltshire and Swindon archives has isn't very helpful with regards to individuals.
But; they did help in that they have general information regarding the migration schemes.

The "Family Colonization Loan Society" had fairly strict rules about who they accepted as members. They paid what they could before they left England and the rest after they arrived in Australia.
The general idea was to have at least three families per group of 12 adults.
The other six adults were made up of either three more couples or several single women or single men.
This way there was protection for single women emigrants on the voyage.
The group were encouraged to get to know each other before the voyage.

I now have a list from the Australian national Archives of Assisted Immigrants on board the "Lord Burleigh" 1856. (This is another branch of my family.) The published lists of assisted immigrants are alphabetical and give no idea at all of family groups. If anyone wants the original lists and know which ship their ancestors arrived on, the archivist at the Sturt University was very helpful and willing to forward the original list to me.

On the other hand, I'm still none the wiser about Elizabeth DAVIS before she boarded the STATELY, except that she was probably housed at the Hatton Gardens "Home", run by Mrs Batkin for the Sidney Herbert Female Emigration Fund.

I hope this at least is of some help to others looking for ancestors who migrated to Australia and New Zealand.

Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline macgrannz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 September 11 09:19 BST (UK) »
Leonie, could you please contact me at (*).   My great great gran was on the Stately also, and I have been to the Archives in Trowbridge and have seen the books.  very interesting.  Have also other papers about the ship.   Sincerely, Dot McCulloch

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

The Rootschat personal message system will be automatically activated
when a member has made two or three posts on the boards.
See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 September 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dot,
I'd love to hear more from you... I tried to contact you by email but it was a dead link.
You need to make some more posts on here before you can use the Personal Message system. That's the little green scroll under your avatar.
But I'm very interested to hear what you have on the subject. I've had any number of people trying to help me with this one and nothing turning up.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline macgrannz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 05:32 BST (UK) »
I dont know what an avatar is, so am at loss about that.   I think it is time we tried to organise a meeting of some descendants of the 32 ladies who were on the Stately.   Mine - Jane Humphreys - just put on all her papers that she came from England, and I have not found out yet where.   She had the unfortunate - or fortunate - distinction - obtained because she got a job straight off the ship instead of going in to the home.  She looked after a little girl who had tb, married her father in the November of 1851, and the little girl died in March the following year.
There is a plaque in the Museum in Auckland about the 'riots' on board the ship - with the girls - Not so, as the Matron took a dislike to one of the girls, and when she heard her singing, she got the Captain to tape her mouth shut.   Who would not object to that sort of treatment.  She did not do her job properly as Jane could not write when she arrived in N.Z., and the Matron was supposed to teach the girls to do that.
I visited the Museum in England where all Sidney Herbert's papers are, and saw the book with all the girls names in, what was written about them, and as far as I could tell, a ship that went into Adelaide was the one that caused the most trouble, as the Harbour Master would not let the ship enter the port because the girls rioted.   Please try to email direct instead of through Rootsweb, and you may get through, as I have a lot of stuff saved  into the computer that I can forward to you.
I live in Gisborne, N.Z.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Dot, I'm in Cairns, Queensland.
I have bits from the NZ newspapers from the time, the reporter was most unethical to say the very least, an absolute cur and a coward for the way he reported the happenings on board Stately.
My G-G Grandmother ended up in court, but she also got work with another lady, she also advertised in July that she was set up as a dressmaker and milliner. She married in November of that year.
I spent a fair amount of money on a researcher in England but got nowhere with that. Only have the general information about the Imigration Society and whay was happening in society in general at that time.
An avatar (you don't have one  :D ) is the little picture over on the left side of the page here. Under that is a small green scroll, if it's light up then the person is online. You can click on the picyure or the name to see that person's information, where they're from etc. So long as they have put the information in their profile.
I'll try again with the email.
Leonie.

Offline AllanEllis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 June 16 03:46 BST (UK) »
G'day, STATELY just found it and very interested in ANN BERGIN (BERGEN) and JOHN her son, any info would be great cheers Allan

Offline Trimc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 March 19 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, interested in this topic - if anyone has further info about the Emigration schemes of the 1850, more specifically needlewomen on the Jane Morrison on 1850 .. I'd be very pleased to know. Trisha

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 March 19 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Out there somewhere is a list of females who migrated per the Sir Sidney Herbert Female Emmigration Scheme, 1851.
The passenger list is available with all the rules they had to abide by, what they could take with them, instructions for the chaplian, surgeon and matron etc.
I've read that there are also lists of names, proffessions, conditions, birth places etc from when the young ladies were boarding with Mrs Herbert before they went to NZ and  Australia. I've tried to find these but from Australia it's an uphill battle.
I think 5 ships came to Australia and one to NZ, before the scheme was abandoned.
I'm interested in the list for the STATELY which went to NZ in 1851.My Great Great Grandmother, Elizabeth DAVIS was aboard the Stately. She claimed on her marriage cert that she was born in London in 1831. This is all the information I have about her.
If anyone can locate the information taken of the young ladies who were aboard Stately I would be most grateful.
Leonie.

Modified; I've modified the title of this thread because I've found nothing and something.  ;D

See below.
Leonie.

Was she "Elizabeth Ann Davies" - she has a middlename?
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZ18510705.2.6?query=%20STATELY%20&page=3&start_date=01-01-1851&end_date=31-12-1851&snippet=true

Amended I see you know of her middlename

Looks like she was travelling with James B White and his wife who were also from London. He was a Shoemaker
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DSC18510704.2.8?query=%22james%20b%20white%22%20&page=2&snippet=true
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 March 19 09:32 GMT (UK) »
The Stately, sailed 27 January 1851 and the census was taken in England on the 30 March 1851.

So no 1851 census for Elizabeth Davis born about 1831 in London.

You'd need to find her in the 1841 census

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)