Author Topic: OPR Banns and Marriages - Ayr - deciphering -  (Read 2270 times)

Offline CERFleming

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OPR Banns and Marriages - Ayr - deciphering -
« on: Monday 09 February 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Good morning.

I attach the banns/marriage entry for William Fleeming and Margaret McKissock, Ayr, 21 August 1795.  I cannot make out the word immediately after 'Fleeming.'  I believe it is Mr. Fleeming's occupation, but I could be wrong.  The original is record 578 / 0080 155 AYR.  Any efforts appreciated -

Charlie Rignall

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: OPR Banns and Marriages - Ayr - deciphering -
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 09 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm fairly sure that it's either Landlor or Landlar, - the former presumably 'Landlord'.  The r is superscript and the use of an abbreviation is represented by the two dots underneath the superscript 'r'.

For the moment I can't think what Landlar would expand to .....

ibi

Offline CERFleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 February 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear ibi -

I never would have guessed that.  An 'r' with two dots...  Somewhat hesitantly, would 'landla - r' be 'landlaird'?  Since there is no town, I would assume the land involved was in Ayr itself.  Thank you so much! 

Charlie

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 February 09 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Dear ibi -

I never would have guessed that.  An 'r' with two dots...  Somewhat hesitantly, would 'landla - r' be 'landlaird'?  Since there is no town, I would assume the land involved was in Ayr itself.  Thank you so much! 

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Nae prob!  My pleasure.

The use of abbreviations in the OPRs in particular is widespread, - but it's not unusual either, as here, to find just one abbreviation, even when there's plenty of opporchancities !

There were no rules on standard abbreviations, as is the case today; sometimes, as here, there was an indication that this was an abbreviation, but sometimes not.

I've never come across 'Landlaird', but that's not to say it doesn't exist.

I suspect instead a slovenly 'o'.

The presumption would be that he was a landord in Ayr, as, other otherwise the normal way of expressing the situation would be 'Landlord in <placename>', but, the joy of this hobby, is that you can never be sure unless there's evidence from other sources, - in which context have you tried looking for a testament (will).

Orraverybest

ibi

Offline CERFleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 February 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Aye, but you see, I'm hoping this William left Ayr with his new bride and moved to London, where in the course of time my great grandmother appeared.  I know there is Scotland in the mix - I went so far as to have a DNA test, which relates me to a group of people up in Angus, but who knows how far back?  And there is nothing I can find in the OPR that would give me hope for that region. But to cases: Every will for a William Fleming in London, well, they seemed far too grand.  Now I am starting to wonder if I have been deprived of yet another magnificent inheritance.  I think this would make three that my wastrel ancestors frittered away.  Is there such a thing as a city directory of Ayr for the 1790's? And there you are, far more than you ever wanted to know.

Regards,

Charlie

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 February 09 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Aye, but you see, I'm hoping this William left Ayr with his new bride and moved to London, where in the course of time my great grandmother appeared.  I know there is Scotland in the mix - I went so far as to have a DNA test, which relates me to a group of people up in Angus, but who knows how far back?  And there is nothing I can find in the OPR that would give me hope for that region. But to cases: Every will for a William Fleming in London, well, they seemed far too grand.  Now I am starting to wonder if I have been deprived of yet another magnificent inheritance. 

There's many such !

But be aware that, even if he was resident in London when he died, if there was something to be inherited back in Scotland, then there could still be interesting material, but only in the Edinburgh Commissariot or Sheriff Court (depending on the date; the Sheriff Courts took over from the Commissariots in the mid/late 1810s), - Edinburgh handled everything regarding someone furth of Auld Scotia.

I think this would make three that my wastrel ancestors frittered away.  Is there such a thing as a city directory of Ayr for the 1790's? And there you are, far more than you ever wanted to know.

Regards,

Charlie

Don't know.  It's maybe a wee bit early for a town the size of Ayr to have such, and I don't think that any national directories such as Slater's go back that far.

But why not ask the local experts at the Carnegie Library in Ayr at http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/libraries/localhistory.htm ?

Orraverybest

ibi