Author Topic: House History  (Read 6780 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: House History
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Major Walter Wyndham Hanbury Warneford OBE was a Mechanical Engineer. Born Halifax in July 1866, son of Canon John Henry Warneford.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DFord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Funnily enough we found him (Walter Wyndeham Hanbury Warneford) on the 1881 Census - just up the road from us in Clewer, Berkshire.  We're in Maidenhead!
Ford - Wolverhampton; Netherseal; Liverpool; Deptford; Parramatta & Ballarat, Australia.  Daniels - Warrington; Liverpool.  Reid - Scotland; Manchester; Liverpool.  Hill, Hartill - Wolverhampton

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I think this is him, though some of the details don't quite tally:

"Warneford, Walter Wyndham Hayden
Works manager at Crewe from 1910 to 1916, he was a son of the church, being born in Wiltshire in 1866. His father was a canon of Salisbury cathedral. He began as an apprentice at Miles Platting works of the LYR in 1882, but in 1883 transferred to Crewe as a premium, and then as a pupil of Webb. In March 1889 he became an assistant at the steel plant, then assistant manager having charge of 'the melts' and the iron and steel foundries. This appointment he held until his promotion to works manager. A dapper little man, he looked diminutive alongside Cooke's 6ft. They worked together without any obvious friction, but were never wholly en rapport. In April 1916 Warneford was made wagon superintendent at Earlestown and retired soon after the formation of the LMSR. His only son lost his life in the 1914-19 war, and he was a relation of the VC, Lieutenant Warneford, who brought down a Zeppelin in France in 1915. "

from http://www.steamindex.com/people/crewe.htm

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 February 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
His OBE was awarded in 1920 ( Gazette 30 March)

"Walter Wyndham Hanbury Warneford, Esq Wagon Superintendent,  London and North-Western Railway"

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/

Offline Yvonne Mcnamara

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 January 16 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I've put together a timeline for Lansdowne House based on the information found.  Hopefully this should help  Liverpool Archives to trace it.

I'm still baffled as to whether Lansdowne House and Melrose are one and the same.  Eaton Hall Jun was at Lansdowne House in 1901 (as mentioned already), Major Eaton Hall and his son Pte Eaton Hall's address was Melrose in 1915 (I have their Medal Index cards), and Major Eaton Hall Jun lived at Melrose in 1936, the same year that Lansdowne House was sold to Albert Oxton (according to local history society).

There's still a lot to find but I'm very grateful for all the help you've given me.
cheers
Dave
Hi , I realise that this is a post from some years ago. Thought you may be interested that my Dad and mum bought Melrose in 1960. I lived there for 10 years and my family owned the house until the mid 80s.Initially it was numbered 50 St Marys Road but later on was re numbered as 60. As you can inagine I have many happy memories of living there--and also lots of photos!

Offline DFord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yvonne
Thanks for your email.  Your surname rings a bell for some reason though I can't think why!
This has confirmed our suspicion that Melrose was a completely different house to Lansdowne which was demolished around the mid 1950s.  5 houses were built on its grounds.  It backed onto the girl's college.  The gardeners cottage was still there about 15 years ago.  We have photos.
If you want to contact me my I will send my e-mail address by pm.

Regards

Dave
Ford - Wolverhampton; Netherseal; Liverpool; Deptford; Parramatta & Ballarat, Australia.  Daniels - Warrington; Liverpool.  Reid - Scotland; Manchester; Liverpool.  Hill, Hartill - Wolverhampton