Author Topic: House History  (Read 6615 times)

Offline DFord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
House History
« on: Monday 09 February 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to research the history of a house that no longer exists?

I'm researching my father's life (he died when I was four) and would like to find out when he bought the house they lived in when I was born, from whom and anything about when it was built.

I contacted the local history society but they could not help.
I'd appreciate any advice.

Dave
Ford - Wolverhampton; Netherseal; Liverpool; Deptford; Parramatta & Ballarat, Australia.  Daniels - Warrington; Liverpool.  Reid - Scotland; Manchester; Liverpool.  Hill, Hartill - Wolverhampton

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: House History
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave
Did your father have a will? If so the solicitors may also have held the deeds of the property. All property details are held at the land registry office as far as I remember when we had to sort out my fathers house after he died. If you search on line for their details you may be able to contact them. If he owned the property the deeds would list all the previous owners and who built the property and who brought the land. We have ours and it makes quite interesting reading. Good luck with your research.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline DFord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.
The problem I have is that this was all a very long time ago - 1955 to be precise.  Yes, my father left a will but the house is not mentioned in it.  We believe that he must have put it in my mother's name before he died.  Unfortunately I did not become interested in my family history until after my mother's death and my older sister was not privy to any such information.  My mother could not afford the upkeep of the house and sold it to developers who built five new houses on the site.
I've looked at the Land Registry website but as far as I can see they will not help with family history enquiries and they seem to only deal with current land/properties.
We think the house would have been built in the 1800's as it was a 'merchant's house'.  We can't identify it on the census because it seems to have been renamed at some time.
I just wondered if there are any records held by archives which would give information on such a property.  I could contact the archives but would need to know what to ask for if paying them to do the research for me.
Many thanks
Dave
Ford - Wolverhampton; Netherseal; Liverpool; Deptford; Parramatta & Ballarat, Australia.  Daniels - Warrington; Liverpool.  Reid - Scotland; Manchester; Liverpool.  Hill, Hartill - Wolverhampton

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it's the same in England (I live in Northern Ireland) but when we bought a brand new house a few years ago we were presented with the 'deeds' (not a lovely folded document but about 6 inches thick paperwork- spiral bound copies of the history of our site- detailing all sorts things about the neighbours, when various sections were sold off, etc., as well back to when our property was one large piece of land in 1800s. Maybe you could try contacting the currect owners of the houses built there to see if they can help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 13:07 GMT (UK) »
A few more ideas:

Voters lists
Trade Directories
Phone Books
Rate books

If you post the address then those of us with access to directories etc can have a dig around for you.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget the London Gazette (not just for London!)  http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/

Your main problem seems to be that you have a name (you're not sure of the number, or it just doesn't appear on the censuses?). In that case, you need to find something from the later years that shows what the neighbouring houses were - they probably weren't all renamed at the same time.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Try the local council for planning permision. When the house got knocked down the person would have had to apply for permission to build the new houses. This strikes me as a good place to start. Please post the address and then we can al help.
regards panda
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline DFord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for these ideas.  It might not be so eary to contact the present occupants of the new houses but it's certainly something I'll consider when I next visit, although that might not be for a long time.

The house was Lansdowne House, 4 St Mary's Road, Huyton, Liverpool.  My father, William Edward Ford, bought it sometime in the late 1930s/early 1940s we think.  According to Liverpool Archives he was in Hunts Cross in the 1938 Kelly's street directory.
I did find the house in one directory owned by Eaton Hall Jun., Wine Merchant but the interesting thing is that in previous directories Eaton Hall Sen. owned a house called Melrose on the same street so we do not know if this was the same house renamed or two different houses.
My sister was told a story that the house was once known as 'The Wedding Cake' as it was built for the Earl of Lansdowne on his marriage.  I suspect that this was just a story!  I can find no connection between Huyton and the Marquess of Lansdowne, nor could the local history society.
Thank you again for your help.
Dave
PS.  Just noticed two more posts, I have tried gazettes-online and found nothing.  I haven't tried the local council so that could be a good place to start.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi try the following web site lots of maps and pictures. small world my rellies come from Huyton as well.
http:/history.knowsley.gov.uk/huyton.html
good luck Dave
regards panda
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk