Author Topic: Searching Census by address  (Read 7361 times)

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Census by address
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Nick29, the families were in Murphy Street off Oakley Street.

I'm attempting to find the names of both my great grandmothers. I know that my maternal great grandfather was Richard McCarthy and the paternal one John Rogers, but I've no idea of the names of their spouses.

Abie
Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
No sign (as far as I can see) of a Rogers or McCarthy in either Oakley Street or Charles Street in 1891. 

Abie, there is no Murphy Street on the 1891 index. It seems to me possible that the road was re-named shortly after the census. There was a great deal of street re-naming in London about this time.

As Nick has said, families were extremely mobile at that time, and it is possible they were living elsewhere in Lambeth.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Stan, what an incredible resource the Victorian A-Z street index is. What a pity there are no maps to go with it.

Abie
Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
JenB, looking again at those maps you posted, it looks very much as though your conclusions, and therefore Nick 29's, are right.

Abie
Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Lots of excellent London maps here http://archivemaps.com/mapco/london.htm
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »

I'm attempting to find the names of both my great grandmothers. I know that my maternal great grandfather was Richard McCarthy and the paternal one John Rogers, but I've no idea of the names of their spouses.

Abie

OK, here's what I would do........ find the birth date of their first child.  The parents will very likely to have married in the same year or the previous one.

You should have the christian names of the wives from the censuses.  If you can post the christian names of the wives, and the year of birth of the first child in each case, I will use the old "Find people on same page" Ancestry feature.  And the place of birth of the wives would be handy too.   No guarantees that I'll find them, though.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Nick29, I just don't have any of the info you ask for.

I've picked-up my paternal great grandfather's name from the 1911 census, where he lived with my grandfather who doubtless was not his first child, because he was 38 when my grandfather was born.

As for my maternal great grandparents, all I have is a certificate of marriage for my grandmother, on which my great grandfather's name is shown. While my grandmother was 18 at the time, I've no idea how old my great grandfather was or whether my grandmother was his first child. So it goes, my grandmother was brought-up in an orphanage somewhere in the Lambeth area with her brother. I don't know her brothers name or age, nor am able to find a birth registration for her. I know the orphanage bit is somewhat contradictory because her father was at her wedding, but that's the story!

Abie
Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I usually find someone living in the street and look for them in the census

Thanks for that tip, Stan :)

Paulene :)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Nick29, I just don't have any of the info you ask for.

I've picked-up my paternal great grandfather's name from the 1911 census, where he lived with my grandfather who doubtless was not his first child, because he was 38 when my grandfather was born.

As for my maternal great grandparents, all I have is a certificate of marriage for my grandmother, on which my great grandfather's name is shown. While my grandmother was 18 at the time, I've no idea how old my great grandfather was or whether my grandmother was his first child. So it goes, my grandmother was brought-up in an orphanage somewhere in the Lambeth area with her brother. I don't know her brothers name or age, nor am able to find a birth registration for her. I know the orphanage bit is somewhat contradictory because her father was at her wedding, but that's the story!

Abie

Abie, why don't you tell us what you do know, because many of us have access to data (like Ancestry, FindMyPast, parish records on CD, etc) that you may not have access to.  Include as many details as you can dates and places of birth, and first names of wives - whatever you have.  Roots Chatters love a challenge !  :)

Please don't post details of anyone who is still alive, but if you feel it's important you can send these details via a personal message.   I've struggled in the past, and sometimes a helping hand from others is all the spur you need. 

Nick.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk