Author Topic: Searching Census by address  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Census by address
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Here's the poser:
On the paternal side , according to the 1911 census, my grandfather John Rogers was living at 10, Hargreave Place, Bermondsey with his wife, my grandmother Margaret (nee McCarthy) 6 children and his father, also named John. His father, my great grandfather, is recorded as being 71 years old, having been born in Union Hall, Cork, Ireland. I suspect my great grandfather, having been born circa 1840, would probably have come to England following the potato famine in 1845. My task is to find anything further about him and the name and details of my great grandmother too.

On the maternal side, I have a certificate of marriage issued by St, George's Cathedral, Lambeth, dated 20th January, 1915, showing that my grandmother, Margaret McCarthy, of 31 Murphy Street, daughter of Richard McCarthy, married John Rogers, son of John Rogers, living at 14, Murphy Street, Oakley Street, on 23 December, 1895. The streets mentioned were adjacent to the present Waterloo Station. The GRO record of my grandmother's marriage shows her name, wrongly, as McClarthy. Her date of birth is said to be 21st August, 1877. However, I've been unable to trace her in the GRO birth records. Again, I'm seeking further details on her, particularly the story that she and a brother were brought up in an orphanage, my great grandfather and also the name and details of my great grandmother.   

St. Georges Cathedral has confirmed there was no orphanage attached to the Cathedral. They referred me to the Catholic Children’s Society, who again had no trace, and suggested I contact School Sisters of Notre Dame, about a convent of theirs that existed close to the Cathedral at that time.

Well Nick, you did ask for it! It's a bit of a tome!

Abie

Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 13:09 GMT (UK) »
As an addendum to the tome, both my grandfather's and grandmother's ages are shown in the 1911 census as being 33 years old.

Abie
Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
According to the IGI, there was a Margaret McCarthy born 14 July 1875, in Waterford, Ireland, to a Richard McCarthy and a Catherine Cashman.

Where does the 1911 census say John Rogers was born ?

Nick
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 14:22 GMT (UK) »
It's the wrong Margaret McCarthy, Nick. My grandmother of that name, according to the 1901 census, was born at Falcon Court, which according to Stan's Victorian Street Index was in Southwark.
John Rogers, my grandfather, says in the 1911 census, that he was born in Bermondsey.

Abie
Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 14:26 GMT (UK) »
That address for my grandfather's birth, for what it's worth,  was at Suffolk Place, Bermondsey.

Abie
Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I think I found Margaret McCarthy's birth in the GRO - it's Q4 1878, Southwark, 1d 247.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Abie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 12 February 09 07:38 GMT (UK) »
It certainly looks a possibility Nick, but I have my doubts. My cousin, who with her mother, lived with my grandmother during. and for a while after, WW2 seems quite certain that her birthday was in August, 1877. Is there any way of determining her parentage without ordering a birth certificate? 

Abie
Buchan, Rogers,Bygraves

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 12 February 09 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately not.  Part of the wonderful world of genealogy is that you accumulate a few "wrong" certificates.  You can have reference checking against known facts (like father's name) when you order the certificate, and if the facts on the certificate don't tally with what you tell them, then they refund £4 out of the £7 you paid. 

I would be careful about accepting what relatives tell you as "gospel" - I've had some complete rubbish told to me by some of my cousins !   :)

P.S. There was a Margaret McCarthy registered in St. Giles, London (Middlesex) in Q3 1877 - 1b 611.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 12 February 09 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Abi,
If I'm not sure I have the right certificate I sometimes order from the district register office, where the event was recorded.
I give them all the details of the person I am looking for eg. age, possible informants (death), address, parents (birth), etc and ask them not to send it if it does not match that criteria.
I had two last week which I sent to Sandwell; and, because they didn't match up, they simply returned the cheques to me.
This might not be the case with all offices, but it has certainly been the case with all the ones I have written to.
Hope this helps.
Paulene :)