Author Topic: royal artillery gibraltar john brock wed anne galeia  (Read 5612 times)

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
royal artillery gibraltar john brock wed anne galeia
« on: Tuesday 10 February 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
john brock sergeant was in gibraltar 1 4 1860 to 9 6 1867 he wed anne galeia or gelase or gelese . 7 kids 7 spellings . alice beatrice brock 16 2 1872 saint mary magdaene woolich kent is the only birth i dont have . all the others in limerick ireland i have .
                         id like to know did they get married in gib or england ? also they came to ireland in 1872 i cant find a census for them in 1871 or any other record of them in england . (no census returns in ireland all burnt by I R A in 1922)
i know john was in NSW for 2 and a half years . ive only got partial military records for him .
at aldershot 2 6 1876 he was battery qtr master sergeant after 20 years 360 days he left royal artillery and joined limerick militia artillery with rank qtr master he retired captain 1890,s went to live in dublin .
i cant find any records for him serving in ireland (in ireland or england)
                            any help please  ???
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: royal artillery gibraltar john brock wed anne galeia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
You will have to visit Kew and look at the Muster Books and Pay Lists (in series WO12). According to the 1862 Army List Col Charles James Dalton was RA chief in Gibraltar, and he is listed as being with the 1st Brigade. So I would suggest you start with their muster. The musters will tell you where each man was on the first day of the month. Later ones (say from mid 1870s onwards) should give some FH information, such as wife’s first name and ages of his children.

Service records just say serving 'at Home' meaning the whole of the British Isles. Muster Books give the actual town/fort where each man was. Researching 22 years service using the muster will take a long time  - a bit like following an education using school registers, but they are the only records I know of.

As he was a senior NCO he would have been on the permanent staff of the Militia. So his normal papers should also cover his Militia service. The Militia’s have their own Muster Books, in WO13 I believe. So he should be recorded there as well. Not all survive though.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=26

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/

Does his papers say anything about a Long Service Good Conduct medal?

Ken

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I doubt this really adds to your knowledge, but a couple of LG references to him from 1878 and 1879:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/24628/pages/5332

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/24668/pages/173
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 18:58 GMT (UK) »
thanks neil and ken .

ken from the papers ive got already from kew it says

1st brigade attached to limerick city artillery militia 1776
   no.364 sergeant john brock his conduct has been very good and he was when promoted in the possession of one good conduct badge and would had he not been promoted have been now in possession of four good conduct badges he is in the possession of the (looks like) silou ? silver ? medal for long service and good conduct with a gratiuity of (pounds) 5 five pounds
his name does not appear in the reg defaulters book
he has never been tried by court martial
entitled to g.c pay@5d. 9 june 76 if not promoted sergeant
                              thanks again i think im gonna have to go to england to kew myself . but at least ill know what to ask for .
                                more advice and comments needed

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 February 09 08:41 GMT (UK) »
What is 1776. Is this his number in the militia?

Yes the LSGC is silver.

Good Conduct 'badges' were actually inverted stripes sown above the left cuff. At one time when you reached Corporal you lost the 'badges'; as it was assumed you had to be of a certain character to be a Corporal and the GC pay was included in the pay for a Corporal. This must be a similar situation once he made Sergeant. It changed a number of times, so the best place to research GC pay is in the Muster Books (WO12 in Kew). Against the name of each man are 5-6 columns from 1d to 6d  per day GC pay. And the number of days he is entitled to in the period (quarter or half year) is clearly shown. It does mean a visit to Kew though.

And do you have this - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000029143/ ?

Ken

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 February 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
cheers  ;D
   the 1776 upon looking again is the date 4776 . 4 / 7 / 76 . (copper plate writeing)
i payed a guy to research at kew he seems to have sent me very little . on one sheet is .

regiment . surname.         .rank.     no                     rank           no
  ra          .     brock . john . q,mr . 76799 . brock . p/54198 . Bo/3604       ?

i wonder did my researcher just send me what was handy ?
              do you know if the r.a in gib would make records of marriages ? and if so where id find them ?

the only cenus returns that still exist in ireland are 1901 and 1911 . i got my brocks in limerick 1901 . moved to dublin . brocks in dublin 1911 johns living with one son . other son james and delia are my gr gr grandparents .

john died 1918 . two years after 1916 rebellion . his two sons worked in GPO where a lot of the fighting  happend GPO and most of sackville (oconnel) st destroyed . john and sons were liveing a short walk away . they were non to happy at the destruction of dublin city centre .
                         a big thanks for your help .

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 February 09 14:10 GMT (UK) »
You need someone with a Findmypast account to look in the overseas/army BMDs for the marriage.

I take it, as you have his year of birth, you have his birth certificate. It is on FreeBMD.

ken

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 February 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
thanks . ive just got his birth 17/12/1837 braunton devon . i got his 4 bro and sis . mam and dad . theres a tree on ancestry seems to go back 1640 ish .
 ill have a look at find my past but im not subscribed .
                         thanks again

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 February 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I have two examples on my tree, both in the latter half of the 19th century, of men in the Royal Artillery getting married in Gibraltar on the way to India.  I can only assume that they had left at fairly short notice and they were allowed to take their women provided the wedding took place on the way.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk