Author Topic: Dodderhill & Crutch & Paper Mill, Droitwich  (Read 3093 times)

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
  • FARMER'S - Birth of the Chemical Industry, Widnes
    • View Profile
Dodderhill & Crutch & Paper Mill, Droitwich
« on: Saturday 12 February 05 23:50 GMT (UK) »
 ???

Can someone please explain to me what this means?

Is it a place name?  a parish name? is it a Paper Mill?

I have this listed as the address to my family on the 1851 Census.

77 Witherfords Building.

Can someone explain?

Stretchie
Farmer - Widnes, Runcorn.<br />Temperley - Runcorn, Frodsham.<br />Bell - Kingsley, Frodsham.<br />Bamber - Wigan, Widnes.<br />Stretch - Cheshire.<br />Vickers - Chester.<br />Hogg - Berwick, Chester.<br />Anyone with any interest in my names, please get in touch.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dodderhill & Crutch & Paper Mill, Droitwich
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 February 05 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I think they are just 3 "places". Dodderhill was (and is I think) a parish with church etc; Crutch is usually described as an extra parochial manor; Paper Mills is also a locality, not sure of the status. Here is a quote from http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Droitwich/Droitwich.shtml  where all three are referred to:
After 1834
Droitwich Poor Law Union was formed on 11th October 1836. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 29 in number, representing its 26 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):

County of Worcester: Claines (2), Crowle, Dodderhill, Doverdale, Droitwich St Andrew, Droitwich St Nicholas, Droitwich St Peter, Droitwich in Liberties, Elmbridge, Elmley Lovett, Hadsor [Hadzor], Hampton Lovett, Hanbury, Hartlebury (2), Himbleton, Hindlip, Huddington, Martin Hussingtree, Oddingley, Ombersley (2), Salwarpe, Stock and Bradley, Tibberton, Upper Mitton, Upton Warren, Warndon.
Later Additions: Crutch (from 1858), Grafton Manor (1837-62), Marlborough in the Vines (from 1858), Paper Mills (from 1858), Shell (from 1858), Westwood Park (from 1858).

If you go to  http://www.old-maps.co.uk/  and put in the following grid reference 391394,265777, select co-ordinate and search, then you will get a map. If you zoom out fully you can see Crutch and Dodderhill written across the map - Droitwich is sort of off to the bottom left.
Hope this helps a bit, have to admit it is rather confusing :)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
  • FARMER'S - Birth of the Chemical Industry, Widnes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 05 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Okay,  I understand all that; but why use all that as your address on the 1851 census?

Maybe they lived in the middle of it all and just summarised it!

Thanks for helping.

Stretchie.
Farmer - Widnes, Runcorn.<br />Temperley - Runcorn, Frodsham.<br />Bell - Kingsley, Frodsham.<br />Bamber - Wigan, Widnes.<br />Stretch - Cheshire.<br />Vickers - Chester.<br />Hogg - Berwick, Chester.<br />Anyone with any interest in my names, please get in touch.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 05 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I think that the civil authorities just lumped them altogether for the census. The next one over is "Parish in Liberties, Marlborough and Marlborough in the vines". Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue either :)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk