Author Topic: ILLMAN FAMILY OF WORTH SUSSEX  (Read 25885 times)

Offline chrisheila

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ILLMAN FAMILY OF WORTH SUSSEX
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Jean - you are more than welcome to take part! I have a lot of information, but not very organised as yet. My approach is trying to ascertain the origin(s) of the name and evolution from Hylman, Illman, ad Montem, Uppehill and Attehill (see the Goons website and my study brief there - http://www.one-name.org/profiles/hillman.html ). Let me know if this is still of interest? Best wishes - Chris
Hillman/Illman One Name Study worldwide
Hillman/Illman in Sussex, West Grinstead area
Campbell of Breadalbane

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 03 February 11 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris.
Yes I would like to join in.
My Grandmother was Lena Elizabeth Illman born 1883 Strood Kent.
Her family moved to Kent between 1832 and 1835 from Worth/Burstow on the boarders of Surrey/Sussex.
Lena was my father's mother and they were gardeners as my father is still at 93.

Regards Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline chrisheila

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 04 February 11 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Jean - not sure how best to go about this?! All my own family line data is in Brother's Keeper software, all my Illman/Hillman data is in Custodian 3. Objectives - to understand better the origins and distribution of the Illman/Hillman family name worldwide. How do you see your own interests fitting in with this? Currently I am engaged in trying to push back my Illman line in the West Grinstead area through focussing first on WG, then surrounding villages. However, at a distance this is not easy and getting beyond good published records on BMD. Another aspect is looking at the varied occurrences of the family name variants pre 1700. Again, this is older historical literature and lots of "paperwork"! Best wishes - Chris
Hillman/Illman One Name Study worldwide
Hillman/Illman in Sussex, West Grinstead area
Campbell of Breadalbane

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 04 February 11 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris.
I was thinking of looking into my own Illman's.I know they went all over the world!
If I could have your email address could send a file of early parish records an email friend in the UK sent me.I will contact him to see if he would like to take part in the study.
I donnot know but did you see I live in Perth Australia!

Regards Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 04 February 11 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris.
My friend is Ray Osbourne who you have been in contact with,if you have info from him you have all the info I have on my Surrey/Sussex Illman.But I still can help with where my Illman's went in the world if you would like.

Regards Jean.

Offline iconstab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 19 September 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
I am one-eighth Illman, my great-grandmother was Laura Ada Illman.
You can trace some Worth-based Illmans back from her on this page:of my site:
http://haywain.net/family/tree.php?ID=16
Most of the Illman data on the site is based on the work of
W. John Illman of Canada (my half second cousin) and I do
not personally have evidence for material prior to Laura's grandfather George.

Ian
CONSTABLE, ILLMAN (Ssx, Sry);
TUTTE, CLARKE, KNIGHT (Hants);
ADSHEAD, BEGEN (Lon);
HONEYCOMBE, WALTERS (Sry/Lon)

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 01:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Ian.
I have been in contact with W John Illman.
I am now back a fair way with my tree but still unable to find Josiah's baptism.
If you would like to PM me with your email address I can send you my tree to see if any link to your Illmans.

Regards Jean.

Offline Douglas Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 19 September 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Elleen.
I did see the photo on Ebay,but I donnot know if he is family or not,the seller could not give me anymore info.
I see you are reseaching in the Lincolnshire area,one member of my Illmans moved there c 1890.He was John Illman the son of Josiah Illman born 1820 Worth,he would have been a nursery man.
          Kind regards Jean.
I am descended from this line.  John was my paternal grandmother's father.  My grandmother was Winifred born 1900.  She married William Scott.

Offline mikegunnill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 13:19 GMT (UK) »

I am seeking information about Harry Ernest Illman 1881-1963. He left Strood in Kent in 1912 and moved to America.  In 1914 he met and married ex-Strood resident Emily Alice Goldsmith, born 1880 in Milton Regis, Sittingbourne.

I am in touch with Jean Harris in Perth.

Grateful any family help, photographs please as I am writing a feature for Bygone Kent Magazine.

Thank you

Mike