Author Topic: MITCHELL - St Peter Port  (Read 8936 times)

Offline DebbieM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MITCHELL - St Peter Port
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 February 09 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the 1881 Emmalina b 1869 is actually the same as the 1871 Emmalina  b 1864?  It could very easily be transcribed incorrectly or recorded badly by the census taker. 

Otherwise, the first Emmalina could have passed away.  My records had an Emmalina born in 1870 (a year later than Thomas).  Maybe she is a second Emmalina who wasn't born yet when they actually polled the family for the census in 1871.

I wonder if George came home to take care of the little ones in 1881, as his parents would have been older with little kids.  Or maybe he was just there when the censustaker came around.

Based on all the info (your original, mine, and the census), this is what I have so far:

Charles H - 1846   
George H - 1848   First shows up in 1871 census, so probably really is George W.
George W - 1849   
Clara T - 1853   Gone by 1871 Census - either died or married or moved out
Excelina E - 1856   
William J - 1859   
Eva Jane - 1862   
Emelina C - 1864   
Alice S - 1866   
Thomas A - 1869   
Emmalina  - 1870   

Offline DebbieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 February 09 21:51 GMT (UK) »
And I forgot Edna Sophia Mary Mitchell born in 1872

Offline DebbieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 February 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Two more thoughts -
Our second Emmalina b 1869 could also possibly be the same as Edna Sophia Mary b. 1872 (and the dates for both are wrong).

Secondly, for my GEDcom posted above, I do not have a lot of references listed in the GEDcom or the notes.  HOWEVER, I do have solid documentation for this family line - for Mitchell, Bullock and Mauger. 

Most of it came through the Priaulx Library, but I also have quite a bit of other documentation.  Please email for specific references.  My apologies for not having good references with the GEDcom - it is on my to-do list.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 February 09 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I've got Edith Sophia Mary bn06 May 1872 - bp died 05 Aug 1877 the IGI ref is C062861
Now, I wonder where she was for the 1881 census?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline RnD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 July 10 04:00 BST (UK) »
I am looking for William John Mitchell.DOB:1859 at St Peter Port Guernsey
I believe him to be my partner's great-great grandfather.
Parents are:
Charles Mitchell
DOB: 1823
Sara Bullock(?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
RnD

Offline timcampbellxyx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 July 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the Mitchell St. Peter who lived in Oconto, Wisconsin, USA and is listed there in the 1880 US Census.  He lived next door to my Great Grandmother nee Alice Wheeler in 1866.  Someone unknown got her pregnant in 1879 and she gave birth to my grandfather May 1880.  Could the Alice you list here born in 1866 be the same Alice.  Mitchell St Peter was then 23.  Subsequently he disappeared (that is, I don't find him in the 1885 Wisconsin Census, nor in subsequent Censuses in Wisconsin and Michigan.  Family records say Alice "grew to womanhood" in Michigan."

Offline Bernadette Mitchell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 06:05 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was Gerald John Mitchell son of John Mitchell and Frances Mitchell. I am having a lot of difficulty locating any information about them. Do you have any suggestions? He was born around 1889 in St Peters Port.