Author Topic: REES 1841 Frome Somerset or ?  (Read 3416 times)

Offline E Tolputt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REES 1841 Frome Somerset or ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of William Lee Ress (RN) b1793-1839. He died of yellow fever and was buried at sea. His wife Mary, on being widowed, went to live in Honfleur in France. The daughter Mary St George Rees went to boarding school (Naval School in London) - she was my great great grandmother. We don't know whether she died in Honfleur or not.
Mary St. George Rees married John clark (son of John Clark b.circa1790 - 1840 and Anne Paine). John Clark senior was a Baptist Minister and School Master. Mary St.George Rees and John Clark had a school in Folkestone - she was fluent in French and German and taught these - [I believe also they were involved in the pioneering of Esperanto]. Mary was also first cousin of W.G.Grace the cricketer.
Does this help ?

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Great response -  Lt. William Lee Rees is the younger brother of my ancestor John Rees,a solicitor, of Haverfordwest, Wales and one of six siblings to David Rees..

I have forwarded a personal response.

Keith Rees Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 March 09 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi E Tolputt,

A big welcome to RootsChat  ;D

Lovely you have made a contact. I believe Keith has sent you a personal message. As a new member you will find you need to make another post or 2 before you can reply. Just reply here a time or two, and you will then the PM (personal message) system will open up to you and you will be able to speak privately with Keith, to share email addresses and other personal contact details.

All the best............Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 March 09 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kris for your response to E.Tolputt / Rees 1841 Frome Topic; and a sincere thank you to RootsChat, not only for this new contact, but for the other numerous responses people have not only made, but also contributed.

A great service and resource for finding the missing pieces.

Much appreciated.

Keith Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 March 09 10:03 GMT (UK) »

Hi Keith,

I am sure everyone on and at Rootschat appreciates your kind words :).
It is FANTASTIC you gave a new contact. Welcome E.Polputt ;D

All the best,
Trish

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a few years later; however, just found a record for another child of Lt. Wm Lee Rees and Mary Pocock in 1841 Census.

Under George W. Reese instead of George M [Manning] Rees and a 13 year old school boy enrolled 1 May 1840 Greenwich Hospital School. Father died at sea 12 Jul  1839, off Mexico.

My guess is that GMR would have gone to Australia with cousins in search of gold; stand to be corrected. Older brother William Gilbert Rees explorer in NZ; sisters stayed in England.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 March 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Keith,

As this has been revived I actually found a transcript of Rose Mary
Pococks Marriage on FreeREG;
Father GEORGE, Occp Gentleman

George Manning Rees;

This one went to Australia and NZ, (and back it appears) but is younger than yours, different Parents also.

Name: George Manning Rees
Spouse Name:   Kate Leahy
Marriage Place:   Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1867
Registration Number:   4050

Familysearch has 2 Children to them born NZ;
Rees 1878
Rose Amelia 1884
Parents George Manning Rees and Kate

Geo Manning Rees
Birth Year:   abt 1846
Death Place:   Hotham, Victoria
Father's name:   Geo Manning
Mother's name:   Martha Llewellyn
Registration Year:   1890
Registration Place:   Victoria
Registration Number:   7733

Also in NZ;
Electrol Roll
Name: George M Rees
Year:   1878-1879
Residence:   Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 March 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

The people have died but the intrique continues....

The George Manning [Lee] Rees [b.1846] who married Kate Leahy 21 (23) Dec 1867 , actually here in this town, was the first cousin, of the George Manning Rees, son of Lt. William Lee Rees.

Three Rees siblings of Havefordwest, Wales m. three chn of George Pocock [the elder], schoolmaster/kite inventor/tent Methodist of Prospect Place Academy, St. Michaels' Bristol [the school from 1800 to 1842/3].

Another of Pocock's daughters Martha was the mother of Dr. W.G. Grace.

We have much, but as you can see, there is always more to find: for example, the admons of the estates of Lt. William Lee Rees (1839 at sea Mexico) and his brother Dr. James Lee Rees (d. 1840 Bristol)

As for the Manning/Lee names that may seem conflicting, these names go back to an Alexander Manning of Northampton (1620 Collingtree/Milton), whose granddaughter Elizabeth Manning married 1711, Andrew Lee of Watford, Northampton.

David Rees of Haverfordwest m. two grand daughters of Andrew and Elizabeth Lee's .

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 March 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »

Death of George Manning Rees (b. 1828 Haverfordwest) , son of Lt. William Lee Rees and Mary Pocock, can now be confirmed:

The Liverpool Mercury on Friday 12 Feb 1847, in its issue #1867, reported the death of George Manning Rees on 9 Feb 1847, aboard the "Joshua Waddington", from Calcutta. His was aged 17 years and the son of Lt. Rees, formerly Commander of one of the Falmouth Packets.

In 1841, as a 13 year old, he was at the Greenwich Hospital School, Surrey.