Author Topic: A small complaint - smilies  (Read 7905 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
A small complaint - smilies
« on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
It seems that RootsChat automatically inserts smilies in certain situations.  I have had this happen to me on a number of occasions.  Here is the most recent example of a post in which I did not insert the smiley:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,360293.msg2369921.html#msg2369921

The above example is trivial.  However, I do object to the automatic insertion of smilies because I have had it happen in situations where the insertion did not accurately reflect my state of mind.  If I wanted to use them, I am perfectly capable of doing so but, as it happens, I don’t like them.  I do not see what is gained by having the RC software [and I suppose it is the software, not a moderator] do this.  People who want to use smilies are free to do so [and many use them wholesale].  I think that those who wish not to use them should not have their wishes overridden by RC.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A small complaint - smilies
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel like smiling!  ;)

Rootschat uses proprietary software and it has not been modified to prevent the characters which are the html for smilies to be overridden.

I trust you can live with what you've said yourself is a trivial inconvenience and that it won't prevent you from enjoying the best FREE genealogy website on the net.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. the very idea that any Moderator has the time or the inclination to go around impishly adding smilies to your posts just to annoy you makes me LOL!

;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:51 GMT (UK) »
The smileys are made up of various punctuations  ??? is (???) maybe you are adding punctuation that is being changed.
?  ??  ???

I cant post three question marks even in brackets - it still comes out as  ???

best wishes
Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Was just going to add if you put 3 question marks up it turns it into the "Huh" smiley.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:03 GMT (UK) »

I trust you can live with what you've said yourself is a trivial inconvenience and that it won't prevent you from enjoying the best FREE genealogy website on the net.

p.s. the very idea that any Moderator has the time or the inclination to go around impishly adding smilies to your posts just to annoy you makes me LOL!

I didn't suggest that moderators did it to annoy me - I assumed it was the software.

I can live with it if RC is unable or unwilling to modify the software. But, as I said, it hasn't always been trivial.  What character combinations should I be careful with besides 3 consecutive question marks?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:08 GMT (UK) »
You can always check that you haven't inadvertently added something you don't want by using the preview button before you post.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wocky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:15 GMT (UK) »
To be pedantic about it, why do you need three questions marks after your question or query? be sensible about it and post one, then the problem doesn't arise.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:25 GMT (UK) »
To be pedantic about it, why do you need three questions marks after your question or query? be sensible about it and post one, then the problem doesn't arise.

Well, in the particular example given above, each '?' represented a character.  I'm sorry, but I don't have time to go back through old posts to search out other examples.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:30 GMT (UK) »
To answer you question, you could look at the Rootschat Help pages, helpfully organised by Berlin-Bob, specifically here:

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting.php#smileys

Any further issues - just ask

:D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)