Author Topic: Newbury pubs Moulding family  (Read 6750 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Newbury pubs Moulding family
« on: Friday 13 February 09 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
This is really for Newburychap who I think is interested in Newbury pubs.

In 1815 (Toomers census) I have an entry for the George and Dragon, Browns Yard, west side of Northbrook St Newbury
The landlord was John Moulding who was there with wife Hester  nee Weston, dau Harriet, son Leander, (my very distant link) grandson George, 3 lodgers and 2 un-named billeted solders.
John had 12 children all told that I have found
His son, William Henry, moved to Hungerford and after his death, his widow, Harriet nee Wall ran a pub there in Charnham St. In 1881 dau Harriet Frampton nee Moulding is still living in Charnham St.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbury pubs Moulding family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 February 09 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi vicwniann,
Am I correct in thinking your post if for a particular person on RC?

Is so, why not send him a PM?  That way you'll be sure he see it.

charlotte

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 February 09 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I find PMs often limit the spread of knowledge around RootsChat - posting on a board means the information is picked up in search engines - and seen by many folks. I would hope anyone interested in Newbury pubs will pick up on the thread title  :)

Where living folks and/or private family details are concerned - of course PMs are the best method of passing such information. They can also be used to bring a particular post to someone's attention without limiting the benefit of others seeing the information

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 February 09 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Extremely well put, Trish. Private messages are fine but open messages may help someone else.  As a regular on these boards I am sure Newburychap will see my message, as will anyone else interested in Newbury pubs or the Moulding family.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline jdavey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 February 09 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicwinann,  :) :)

I also have a link to Leander Moulding (1801) son of John & Ester Moulding. I am of the belief that Leander and his wife Charlotte made their way to America. I have been unable to confirm this, would you have any further information.

Leander & Charlotte's daughter Sophia married a William Franklin and emigrated to Australia, where we have remained.

Would love to hear from you.

Cheers

Jayne   ;D
I live in Melbourne Australia and I am researching:
Holloway - Radnorshire, Herefordshire, Shropshire
Davey - county sligo emigrating to Australia

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 February 09 22:55 GMT (UK) »
In 1815 (Toomers census) I have an entry for the George and Dragon, Browns Yard, west side of Northbrook St Newbury
The landlord was John Moulding who was there with wife Hester  nee Weston, dau Harriet, son Leander, (my very distant link) grandson George, 3 lodgers and 2 un-named billeted solders.
John had 12 children all told that I have found
His son, William Henry, moved to Hungerford and after his death, his widow, Harriet nee Wall ran a pub there in Charnham St. In 1881 dau Harriet Frampton nee Moulding is still living in Charnham St.

Thanks for that - particularly nice to get pre-1837 info.

The George & Dragon was on Northbrook St - the last building in Newbury on the west side of the street until Newbury took over Speenhamland in 1878. Demolished in the 1930s because it stuck out into the street and was in the way of efficient traffic flow. Rebuilt out of the way of the traffic it lasted until the 1950s when it was turned into a bank. Seen a few other uses since, now its a Thai restaurant.

The 1815 reference is the only one I have that is definitely John Moulding- but a Moulding appears as a victualler in Newbury in the Universal Directory of 1794, quite possibly the same chap. By 1817 there is another landlord at the George & Dragon. Do you have a death date for John?
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 February 09 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jayne and Newburychap,
First, yes, Newburychap,  I have a burial of John Moulding 15 Oct 1819 St Nicolas when he was said to be "of Speenhamland".  His wife Esther was buried 12 May 1824  same place "of Newbury".

Jayne, my distant link is with the Franklins and possibly Leander's wife who I am told was Charlotte Durbidge.   I suspected that Leander had emigrated somewhere because I could not find him after 1851. Even on that census, although he says "married", I couldn't find his wife for her age and birthplace.  I will send you a PM with my email address.

Double whammy! 
Yours
Vicwinann

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ron Perry, killed in action aged 22, 06.08.1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 February 09 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Another thankyou for posting rather than just PMing as John Moulding was my 6xgreat grandfather thru his son William Henry. In fact, you have pretty much listed my tree as Harriet Frampton, nee Moulding was my 4x great grandmother!
Thanks for the info!
Jo

PS Does anyone have any idea where Esther Weston was born or who her parents were?
Beilby        - Cheddington, Buckinghamshire<br />Clarke        - Hatfield, Hertfordshire<br />Dumpleton - Bedfordshire<br />Frampton   - Hannington/Swindon, Wiltshire<br />Green         - Whilton/Culworth, Northamptonshire<br />Jopson       - Haverhill, Suffolk, Marylebone & St Pancras<br />Knibbs        - Akeley, Buckinghamshire<br />Latchford   - Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire<br />Luders        - Germany<br />Perry          -Little Fransham, Norfolk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 February 09 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I can't really help as to place but Esther was age 66 at her burial in 1824. The 1815 Toomers census has her aged 56  which gives a rough birthdate of 1759.

A submitted, as against parish collected, IGI has her born Jan  1763 but no other details.  I would take the latter with a pinch of salt as the submitter has her marr to John Moulding born 1861.  Presumably a typo.

Yours
Vicwinann