Author Topic: Austerfield Murder 1828  (Read 12356 times)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Austerfield Murder 1828
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 February 09 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I wonder if this is John snr's will?

Online Document PROB 11/1825
Will of John Dyon Yeoman Austerfield , Yorkshire .  Date: 1833. (17 Dec 1833)

It would be interesting to see who his heirs were after such a horrible murder!

deb

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 February 09 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian....Goofy & Deb,

Good finds and John Dyon Senior's Will !! ......wonder what happened next? !  :o

Sheila.

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
  • If I keep looking I'm sure I'll find something!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 February 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't know Sheila but in the article I found for the 29 February 1828

"Mrs Dyon who was delivered of a still born child on Friday, in consequence of the shock which she received by the afflictive event of her husband's murder, continues in a very delicate state of health"  :'( :'(
Bell - Newcastle/Northumberland
Hansford - Dorset/Somerset/Isle of Man/Jersey/USA
Lawton - Newcastle/Canada
Leaning - Brigg/Humberside/New Zealand
Price - Wales/Lancashire/USA
Shirt - Doncaster
Wilson - Brigg/Humberside

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 February 09 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

these documents may reveal more ...from NA

Further deeds relating to the Dyon property in Austerfield  CM/2225-2245  1839-1847
(held at Sheffield Archives)
Contents:
Which was bought in 1847 by Robert Pemberton Milnes. There are 3 abstracts of title.

Deeds relating to Brandcroft Farm in Austerfield CM/2206-2224
Part of the property sold by Miss Betty Dyon and others to Robert Pemberton Milnes in 1847. Originally Box 3.. [Sheffield Archives, Crewe Muniments] Date range: 1802 - 1847.

Conveyances CM/2246-2249
By Miss Betty Dyon of Bawtry and others to Robert Pemberton Milnes of Brandcroft Farm for £1,750 (with abstract of title), a freehold farm and closes with a parcel of copyhold land for £1,840, and Low Common Close for £180 13s.4d., all in Austerfield. Date: 1847.

Poor woman, what a tragedy for her and the girls.  :'(  Miss Betty must have been one of the daughters.
added ...although the link of the book from Dizzifish states that John's wife was Betty!

deb

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ian55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 February 09 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for taking such an interest in this story.

Thanks particularly to Sheila for directing my attention to a number of local newspaper accounts of the matter. I now know a fair bit about the crime and the trial. I also know rather more than I wanted to about the public executions!!

I can tell you that I have heard back from the friendly people at York Reference Library that they hold a slim volume (16 pages) entitled "Report of the Trial of William and John Dyon for the Wilful Murder of Mr John Dyon of Bancroft York Castle March 31 1828" by H. Deighton. I am hoping to have sight of this shortly.

I know that John Dyon and his wife Betty had four children christened at Austerfield in the period 1818-1825 and that their son died in infancy. At the time of the murder in 1828 Betty was left with three young girls to bring up. The news from Goofy that Betty was pregnant and lost her baby as a result of the shock only adds another layer to the tragedy.

What happened next?

1. The eldest daughter Elizabeth married in 1838 and was living in Austerfield with her husband, a farmer, and daughter in the 1841 Census.
2. Betty Dyon, said to be of Independent Means, and the two younger daughters were also still living in Austerfield in 1841.
3. The youngest daughter Matilda married a farmer in 1846 and went on to have a large family.
4. Betty Dyon and unmarried daughter Mary, both described as Annuitants, were living in the nearby town of Bawtry in 1851.
5. The death of Betty Dyon was registered at Doncaster Oct/Nov/Dec 1859. I am hoping she might be buried with John Dyon at Austerfied. I am looking forward to hearing from Goofy on that later.

It sounds to me as if deb usa has uncovered the sale of the farm in 1847 and that fits with the Census info. I am not sure about the laws of succession in England at the time. The motive for the murder appeared to be that William Dyon felt he had expectations of inheriting the farm if his brother John Dyon were to die. I will follow up you other suggestions when time permits.

Ian55

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 February 09 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian55

What a fascinating story, particularly for me living locally.  I have tried scanning the newspapers with disastrous effect but asside from the quote about Betty Dyon losing her child there is little more information than in the book Dizzifish found for you.  I will take the information with me to the FHS next week and hopefully turn something up.  It certainly would be nice to know that John & Betty rest together.

Goofy
Shirt - Doncaster

Offline ian55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 February 09 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Goofy, Sheila and Deb,

I have at last had the opportunity of reading the googlebook found by Sheila and it is great that this provides so much information about the background to the motive for the crime.

I had a look at some of the other references and there is a snippet in the book about South Yorkshire by Joseph Hunter mentioning that the burying ground adjoining the Chapel at Austerfield has "obtained a melancholy notoriety by the interment of Mr John Dyon of Brancroft who was shot near his own house a victim of fraternal jealousy".

In the circumstances I have high hopes that there will be a memorial stone at Austerfield.

Ian55

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian55

I have been on the FHS website and they definitely have MI's and burial registers for Austerfield so there is a strong possiblity that something will be found.  According to their website, Dyon Cottage and Dyon House Farm still remain (although the farm has long since gone, the house still remains).

http://www.doncasterfhs.co.uk/church/austerfield.htm

Goofy
Shirt - Doncaster

Offline ruthtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dysons : Austerfield Murder 1828
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I was going to post a request for info on Dysons - but wonder whether I want to be related to these folk!
I have Moses Dyson marrying in Hucknall Nott 1777.  born c 1750/51.  He is stated of Hucknall, but there is nothing on the parish reg, so wondered if from other Notts parts or ?  names William, John, Ann and Elizabeth in the family down the line. Dont know his work/trade.  Ruth