Author Topic: Wickens of Brimpton Berkshire  (Read 8121 times)

Offline GPatton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wickens of Brimpton Berkshire
« on: Friday 13 February 09 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I have done some research on the Wickens family who at one time came from Brimpton Berkshire England. Here is what I believe to be correct.
William Wickens (my 5th GGrandfather) was born abt.1748, in Brimpton Berkshire. He married a Sarah (unknown) who was born abt. 1850. They had 11 children. John, Mary,James,Richard,Sarah,Joseph,Joel (my 4thGGrandfather),Luke, Mark, Elizabeth, Thomas. Children born between 1769 and 1790.
My 4th GGrandfather Joel Wickens was born 1785 in Brimpton and died abt 1848 in Bradfield Berkshire. He married Dinah Barlow 24 November 1805, at Tadley Parish Hampshire. Their children, Joel, William, Mark, Stephen, Sarah, Eliza, Jane, Elizabeth, Thomas (my 3rd GGrandfather), Richard, and Mary. These children born between 1806 and 1829. My 3rd GGrandfather Thomas eventually moved to Canada where he lived a bit of a pioneer life, and lived well into his 90's. I have also information that his younger brother also ended up in Canada but was a businessman.
I have a picture that suggests it may have been the family home in 1823. Noted on the back is Sherbourne, St John, Hampshire 1823.
Can anyone tell me anything more about this family?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gord
Patton, Gault, Mclaughlin, Callender, Laverty, Cox.

Offline ballywing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wickens of Brimpton Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon, I think we traded info a couple of years ago. Your Thomas Wickens was brother to my Richard Wickens.  - Just wanted to let you know that I recently discovered - Joel Wickens born Brimpton 1780 actually died in Quebec Feb 9, 1848 - registered at Christ Church, Montreal - not in England. He had  also remarried in Quebec in 1840 - to a Rosalie Minnourd? (approx sp) and had another daughter Harriet Wickens in 1841. After Joel died in 1848, Rosalie remarried an Archibald Minckin in Quebec and they moved back to England. Joel had fought in the Quebec Rebellion in 1838 and was permanently injured (Shoulder/hip) after his horse fell on him. He lived in Odell Town, QC. ....Regards, Debbie Wickens  :)

Offline GPatton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debbie,

You are correct that we traded info a couple of years ago. I was not aware that Joel Wickens died in Montreal, so that is quite interesting. Do you happen to know anything about Joel, his life , type of work??  Thanks so much for the update.

Gord

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are about 50 entries on the Berks Burial Index for Wickens in Brimpton. Say the word and I will transcribe them if you need me to.

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GPatton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response. I do not have a lot of information on the Wickens from Brimpton, but I do believe that William Wickens, B/ abt 1748 would be my 5th GGrandfather. He was married to a Sarah (last name unknown), and she was born abt 1750. They had children as follows (all births approximate): John (1769), Mary (1771), James( 1773), Richard(1775), Sarah(1777), Joseph(1781), Joel (1785), Luke and Mark (1787 perhaps twins) and Elizabeth and Thomas (1790 perhaps twins).
Luke, Elizabeth and Thomas all appear to have died young. Luke in 1790 and Elizabeth and Thomas in 1792.
If you could check the listings that you have for some of these names I would be very thankful. I do know that Joel moved to Canada so, he would not be there, but as for the rest, it is possible that they remained in England. Also would love to know the maiden name of Williams wife Sarah.

Thanks again.

Gord

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Luke poss: 20 Mar 1792, Brimpton
Mark poss: 13 Oct 1817, aged 30, Shaw cum Donnington
Richard poss: 30 Jan 1848 aged 72, Wasing St. Nicholas.
James: 17 Feb 1839, aged 66. Brimpton
John poss: 27 Feb 1805, Brimpton
Joseph poss: 16 Nov 1800, Brimpton
Mary poss: 25 Nov 1831, aged 65, Brimpton

Mother Sarah: 26 Feb 1835 aged 85, Brimpton
Father William poss: 3 Jul 1817 aged 78, Brimpton

Will look properly for others tomorrow.

Matt

Offline GPatton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Matt, Most of those dates fit with my Tree. I presume that the names after the date of death refer to the Cemetery or Church that the death was registered at.

thanks for the help.

Gord

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 07:58 GMT (UK) »
These are burials, but they give a rough idea of when a person died. Usually, in the early 1800's, the time between death and burial was short (I have one ancestor who was buried the day after death) so it is ok to assume that they died within a week of burial. It is pretty much impossible to find out when ancestors died before 1837, but sometimes Priest's add in information about the death, date, cause etc.

Matt

Offline GPatton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

In the Berks Burial Records, does it give any other information on the Wickens that you previously sent? Some of the records appear to have ages of the deceased recorded and others do not. Also do you have any idea where I might be able to get pictures of the various gravesites?

Thanks,

Gord