Author Topic: De Quincey McQuincey Quincey /WORKHOUSE  (Read 6480 times)

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Lucy Reid (1918- 1993) My Mum
    • View Profile
De Quincey McQuincey Quincey /WORKHOUSE
« on: Saturday 14 February 09 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to discover more about Quincey's in Limerick. I have a Lucy McQuencey  baptised in 1852. Daughter of John McQuencey and Bridget McKaig  Parish St John's sponsor Ann McQuency.

In  1877 Lucy McQuincey  (father John a clerk) marries a widower John O'Donoghue. On their children's birth records her name is given as Quincy. I am 99.9 % certain these add up as the same person.
John and Lucy's daughter was my grandmother. ( all records downloaded from limerick Genealogy - the pay as you go site)

My mother always said her Grandmother was a De Quincey and I have found a John De Quincey, A clerk who died in the workhouse aged 89 in 1909. ( same site) I am assuming that this is my mother's grandfather. Is that reasonable? :-\

How can I find out more about  the 89 year old who died in the workhouse? If anyone can point me in the direction of workhouse records online I would be grateful. Or is it another trip to Ireland, if so would records be in Dublin or Limerick or both?

Pritchard- Middlesex, Colchester Aldridge Parkins - Buckinghamshire
Seagar Saunders -Essex

Crowley - Dublin Reid - Dublin  O'Donoghue -Limerick and Dublin  Quincy/ De Quincey/ McQuincey - Limerick

Offline Charles44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: De Quincey McQuincey Quincey /WORKHOUSE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My great great grandfather was Archibald McKaig, who was born in County Down Ireland in 1838. He married Fannie Strong, who was born in Limerick. He moved to New Jersey in 1856. A picture of him is on this page.

http://thetraderspeaks.com/n288.html

Archibald McKaig and Frances Elizabeth Strong married on 11 Aug 1861 in St. Paul's Church in Jersey City.  He was supposedly born on 13 Sep 1838 in Co. Down, Ireland and died on 15 May 1918 in Jersey City.  I have their kids as:

William Samuel, b. 15 May 1865

Archibald, b. 16 Feb 1868

Charles Alfred, b. 16 May 1870

Mary Louise, b. 09 Jul 1872

Francis, b. 07 Jul 1875 (died young)

Edward Francis, b. 14 Jun 1877 – Wife Anna Veronica

Fannie Strong, b. 28 Feb 1880

Are we related?

all the best,

Charles

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Lucy Reid (1918- 1993) My Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 15 22:10 BST (UK) »

i am sorry Charles but I don't think so. Would love to find out more about Bridget -I know very little other than she gave birth to a lot of children, but I think she was born in Limerick- no reason to think otherwise. Good Luck with your search.

Paula
Pritchard- Middlesex, Colchester Aldridge Parkins - Buckinghamshire
Seagar Saunders -Essex

Crowley - Dublin Reid - Dublin  O'Donoghue -Limerick and Dublin  Quincy/ De Quincey/ McQuincey - Limerick

Offline Chelebelleboulay

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula

I think we may be related.   John Christopher "McQuincey" was my great great grandfather.   He lived from 1822-1909, and sadly died in the Workhouse in Limerick.    He had 10 children, one of whom was my great grandfather, John Joseph deQuincey.      John Joseph married Frances Hannon in Tralee, and although they had 3 children only one survived.   She was Eileen Christina deQuincey (b. 1903) and she was my grandmother, my father's mother.   

I have been trying to trace the deQuincey line for ages.    It appears that the Quinceys came from Lincolnshire in England.   John Christopher appears as McQuincey in some places, Quincey in others and deQuincey in still other places - thus making it difficulty to trace the ancestry.

Please contact me if you think I have any information that might be of interest to you.

Kind regards
Michele