Author Topic: what is this symbol on medal index card?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
what is this symbol on medal index card?
« on: Saturday 14 February 09 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have attached a picture of part of a medal index card.  Can anyone tell me what the symbol next to the '15 star' is?  Does it have any significance or is it just some sort of file cross reference do you think?

I'd be glad of any opinions

Thanks
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what is this symbol on medal index card?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 February 09 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello

It's a cypher or mark for the recording of regiment on the medal back or rim itself. There should be at least one similar mark at the top of the card beside the regimental name in the case of multiple regiments. Sometimes it was used for highlighting alterations.

David

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David,

Indeed the mark does appear at the top too - next to RGA which I know is Royal Garrison Artillery.  He was later in the labour corps so I assume then that the medal was issued with Garrison Artillery on it.

Thank you again - it has been puzzling me for ages!  Should have known someone here would have the answer.

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

One of my relatives ended his service in the Labour Corps.  In his case he had been wounded in 1915 and was considered unfit for further service at the front.  When the Labour Corps was established in 1917, as well as providing engineering services at the front they took on strength a number of soldiers, who were unfit for active service, presumably to see if they could be found military employment in the UK or behind the lines.  My relative was discharged (honourably) from the Labour Corps mid-1917 but his medals were marked with his infantry regiment name and number.

All the best

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith