Author Topic: Portobello Road School  (Read 35181 times)

Offline keithzx12r

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portobello Road School
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 November 11 15:28 GMT (UK) »
 :) I joined the school in the second year in 1948. I stayed till Xmas 1952 and left as soon as I was allowed at age 15 and two months. Our maths, history, geography teacher was Miss Matthews, quite strict, she used to send me out of school to fetch her a packet of fags if she ran out. The Head, Mr Markham was most unimpressed when i asked to leave. Went from school to apprentice compositor, gradually worked up when I became qualified to Works Manager and subsequently started my own printshop with a partner. That went well and after eleven years sold my half to my partner and moved back to Cornwall aged 40 and opened a Kawasaki motorbike shop. Can't have been a bad school then!

Offline jimmyjames2426

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 April 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
hi i went to isaac newton school back in the 70s its main gates are in lancaster rd  and side entrance is on the portobello rd i believe its nows some sort of community centre

Offline nollynono

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hello
For all those interested. Did you know there are Facebook groups with over 1,500 members who lived in W.10 and W.11, also surrounding area. In the groups are hundreds of photographs of the area and schools and buildings.
Many people have found old school chums and family within the group.
I personally have a school photograph of Isaac Newton school kids, from 1950 (my dads class). And I do believe many of the members have mentioned they went there.
If you are interested in viewing the groups, and or joining, please contact me at;(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline damic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 June 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
I am now 79 so probably a year behind Rethink, but as I remember the headmaster was Mr Markham Mr rees was certainly the maths teacher, Mr Warren the arts master. I remember Miss Lawton teaching Geography. Mr Williams was my favourite, every Xmas he would read A Christmas Carol aloud to the class, a little each day,  so it finished about the time we broke up for christmas.
It was a happy time despite the war.
If I knew how to I would add a photo taken on a school trip to Romney Marshes which includes Mr Williams.

Offline damic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 June 13 18:59 BST (UK) »
I am now 79 so probably a year behind Rethink, but as I remember the headmaster was Mr Markham Mr rees was certainly the maths teacher, Mr Warren the arts master. I remember Miss Lawton teaching Geography. Mr Williams was my favourite, every Xmas he would read A Christmas Carol aloud to the class, a little each day,  so it finished about the time we broke up for christmas.
It was a happy time despite the war.
If I knew how to I would add a photo taken on a school trip to Romney Marshes which includes Mr Williams.

Offline Chesterfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
I attended North Kensington Central School 1952 to 1957. We wore a green uniform and our badge was the Lion of St.Mark. The teachers there during that time were: Headmaster Mr Armitage, followed by Mr Davis, Miss Matthews, Miss Johnson, Miss Boxall, Miss Evans, Mr Stone,Mr Gristwood,
Mr Wilcox, Mrs Wilson,Mr Hogan, "Garth", Miss MacIntosh,to name but a few.
The entrance to the boys playground was via a green wooden gate opposite the library in Lancaster Rd. The entrance to the girls  playground was in Portobello Road, near to the railway bridge at the "junk end" (opposite end to the antiques)
It wasn't long after I left in 1957 that the school "disbanded" and became the Isaac Newton School for boys. My brother in law was in the 3rd year when this occurred and he was transferred to the Holland Park School.

Offline Gwendoline Francis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 October 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
I was so excited to read of people who knew & perhaps attended North Kensington Secondary school back in the late forties.  I was there during that time & remember the teachers mentioned. Mr. Markham, the head, Mr. Rees the math teacher, he terrified me because I was so bad at math. He would make me sit facing him. I was top of the class in History & beat Ron Taylor who was the class whiz. I could go on but after all these years, to recollect my school days in North London was truly wonderful.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 October 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I shall certainly get in touch with Nolly who has more info on London W11, W12. Golly! what a find. I love these Roots forums.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 October 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nanny Jan, for such an informative post regarding my old school in London.

Much appreciated!