Author Topic: Portobello Road School  (Read 35279 times)

Offline Gwendoline Francis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portobello Road School
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 November 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry no response to my last post about my old school chums in the late forties.

I wonder if any remember, who perhaps comes across this forum, would know of several of my class mates e.g. Bertrum Ing, Rosemary Peverall, June Rose, Ron Taylor, Audrey Ayton, Doris Otway, Beth McBride? Just grasping for straws, who knows?

Thanks so much!

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 November 14 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gwendoline,
I can certainly say that I remember Bertie Ing. We were in the same class and went on the school trip to Romney Marsh, I posted a photograph of us together with Ken Cobb, Albert Cheeseman, Nulian (whose surname I have forgotten) and the best of teachers Mr Willie Williams. I occasionally communicate with Mike Phillips. I honestly cannot remember a single girls name so it may be that I did know you!!

Regards, Norman Lovell
Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 November 14 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for acknowledging my post, so glad you remember Bertrum Ing. Gwendoline Francis is a pseudo for Roots, real name Audrey Anne Reynolds. I also remember Albert Cheeseman, but your name does not ring a bell. I was an significant little girl, always in trouble, I got sent to Mr. Markham' office once which tells all.
I don't remember Mr. Williams, but will always remember Mr. Rees, the math teacher.

Many thanks again for your post.  Best regards! 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure about the school trip to Romney Marsh, Norman, I did go on a school outing but can't remember where. I had just had a falling out with my very best friend Beth McBride, so didn't enjoy myself. I remember the school bus bringing us back from the trip. Most parents were there to greet their children except for mine. I searched the crowds to no avail. I walked home with a bunch of flowers in my arms to find my older sister the only one home. Parents had gone to Blackpool for a week without telling me, I was crushed.

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gwendoline,
Here are a few more teachers. Do you remember Miss Lawton, Miss Matthews, Mr Warren the Art teacher, Miss Woolf who took French. I can't think of the name of the teacher who tried to get us interested in Chopin by playing it at assembly. It possible we don't remember each oyjer because we were in different classes, apart from year two I was always in 1b,3b and 4b, I don't think we had an identity in year 5, certainly we were all boys then. I remember the boy in our class that was most familiar with Mr Markhams cane and that was Alan Edwards. He always appeared to be unaffected, I know I wasn't.

Regards, Norman
Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norman, I remember both Miss. Matthews & Miss. Lawton. I was interested in subjects that they taught, history & geography, I still love those subjects & liked both teachers. Now Mr.Rees a different story. I was so bad at math, I am surprised I got through life as well as I have.There was a smashing young shorthand teacher, I was really good with that subject, can't remember his name. Also, a young New Zealand teacher that all the girls had a crush on.

So nice chatting with you, what a great Roots site this is.

Offline David Llada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 December 14 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone shed some light on exactly where the Portobello Road School in London, is or used to be? My grandfather was the live-in caretaker in the 1930s but I cannot find any trace of the building. I have been told that it could have changed its name to the Sir Isaac Newton school, but this has been impossible to prove. How can I find out where it was or is, and if it has been demolished? Many thanks in advance.

I was taking a picture of the so called "Portobello Garden" arcade when I realized you can read the word "School" in the wall. Googling about it I reached this forum.

The Portobello Road School is located in 269B Portobello Road, very near Ladbroke Grove.

Here you have a picture:

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 December 14 08:14 GMT (UK) »
David

Love the foto, is the restaurant any good?  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ecu/ tells more and has the same gates without the advertising.

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline David Llada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 December 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
David
Love the foto, is the restaurant any good?  :)

I have to say it is one of the best italian restaurants around: a family business with traditional food in a charming place :-)

I just moved to this area, and it was very nice to find this threat and get to know the stories behind these places.

David