Author Topic: Portobello Road School  (Read 35188 times)

Offline screwloose

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portobello Road School
« Reply #45 on: Monday 19 February 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
hello
I went to Isaac Newton lower school in 1961 and its still there although according to posts I have seen today its now a private school called Chepstow academy. After your first two years in the lower school you move to the Upper School in Wormington road.
There are two entrances
One from Portobello road going down the hill just after the M40 flyover extension and the Metropolitan Railways line, as you pass under the two bridges the entrance is on your right.
The second entrance has a large playground and is in Lancaster road. Going down Ladbroke grove pass under the same M40 extension and Met Line and you will come to a crossroads, turn left (the Library is on the corner) and you will come to the playground for what was Isaac Newton.

Offline stomp

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 02 December 19 00:59 GMT (UK) »
My father Eric Tompkins went to Portobello Road school in 1916. Please see attached photo from June 1916.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 13 March 20 22:54 GMT (UK) »
My cousins lived in Portabella road in the 1940s . I wonder if they went that school . I don’t know when they left , bye Fred.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..