Author Topic: Vanished - without a trace - John Matthew Thompson  (Read 26210 times)

Offline OzFriend

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vanished - without a trace - John Matthew Thompson
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 March 09 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Karen
I am trying to find more information on John Vaughan Thompson, which I notice you have mentioned in some of your messages.
He was born 1779 Berwick upon Tweed.  He married Martha Solomon at Cork, Ireland in 1817.  Martha died there in 1832.  John was in Australia from at least 1836 as Director of Public Hospitals.  He died in Sydney in 1847.
His daughter Ellen Vaughan Thompson was born in Cork 1821.  I don't know if he had any other children.
Would love to know about any brothers or sisters etc. 
I thought his father was John Thompson and mother Jane Hall.
Can you help any further with this.
Anne
Glennie - Irvine, Frank, Alex, Henry, William, John, John, Alex.
Fletcher - Lucretia, George,
Wingate - Lucretia, George,
Devonshire, Thomazin, John,
Scott - Alice, George, William, William
Wilson - Eliza, Thomas, Roger, Joseph
Thompson - Ellen, John Vaughan, John, Joseph, Joseph

Offline karenb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 March 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I've sent you a pm. 

John Vaughan Thompson was a brother of the Joseph Thompson who went to Canada.  Joseph's son John Hall Thompson also named a son Vaughan.

All I know about John Vaughan's siblings (other than my Joseph) is from the will of his grandfather (another)  Joseph Thompson who died in 1784.  His only son is John and John's children at the time of Joseph's death were: James, Dorothy, Joseph and Vaughan.  I don't know if the children are listed in order of age but Vaughan is the last grandchild mentioned.  Of course, more may have been born after Grandpa's will was written.

From the biography of a son of John Hall Thompson in Canada we learn that his father and grandfather (and perhaps gt-grandfather) were all in His Majesty's 40th Regiment of Foot.

Notes from a tribute to a grand-daughter of John Hall Thompson (who died at a ripe old age of 104 in 2001) includes the following: (the names in brackets have been added by me.)

Her great-grandfather, Major Joseph Thompson, [brother of John Vaughan] fought with the Duke of Wellington and helped defeat Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. He moved from Europe to Brock township in Ontario in 1836.

Ms. Thompson's great-great-grandfather [John Thompson] was in the British navy and organized the British withdrawal from New York. Her great-great-great-grandfather [Joseph] fought with the British at Germantown in the American Revolution.

I have a little more but have will send this per pm or email after I have heard from you.

Karen

Perry - Tipperary, Wiltshire & Ontario
Gibbs - Buckinghamshire & Ontario
Cowan - Tipperary & Ontario
Bell - Glenavy, Ireland & Ontario
Drury - England & Ontario
Ritchie - Scotland & Ontario
Glover - Ireland, Edinburgh & Thorah/Brock Twp. Ontario

Offline OzFriend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 March 09 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Karen
Apparently I have to post 3 messages before I can read your pm.
I am new to this site so am still learning here.
Anne

Offline OzFriend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 March 09 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Your message is interesting.
Do you know much about John Vaughan Thompson?  He is quite well known in early Australian history.
It is interesting that his daughter Ellen married Thomas George Wilson whose father Major General Roger Williamson Wilson was highly decorated in India. 
Anne

Offline karenb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 March 09 23:21 GMT (UK) »
No, I don't have very much on the personal life of John Vaughan - only a little information about his voyages and publications.  Charles Darwin used his notes when he went on his expeditions.

The Thompsons were obviously very military orientated.  One of the Canadian descendants has a diary of Joseph I or John Thomspon describing a battle in America where he was injured trying to get some women and children over a river.  I'm still trying to get a copy ...  Vaughan was also in the military for some time and I believe I may have something regarding that.

I do have a diary of Joseph Richard Thompson - an older brother of John Hall and nephew of Vaughan - describing the local Ontario events during the 1837 revolt.

Karen

PS. to check your pms - they should be at the top of this page. - welcome back, OzFriend, you have ?? messages, 1 is new - etc.
Perry - Tipperary, Wiltshire & Ontario
Gibbs - Buckinghamshire & Ontario
Cowan - Tipperary & Ontario
Bell - Glenavy, Ireland & Ontario
Drury - England & Ontario
Ritchie - Scotland & Ontario
Glover - Ireland, Edinburgh & Thorah/Brock Twp. Ontario

Offline ggw42

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://wilson-mciver.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi ALL,
This is my first time on this site. I had to sign up when I saw the names of my two Great-Great-Great-Grandfathers mentioned here in the one thread. Major General Roger Williamson Wilson & John Vaughan Thompson.  ;D
I am an Australian but currently living in the UK and have been researching these two for years. I was only made aware of the possible Canadian connection to JVT in the last 12 months or so and still don't have much idea of the family's involvement in the US war of Independence. I would be very interested swapping information on these & other family members. Sorry that I can't assist with John Matthew Thompson as he is several generations after my branch diverged from his branch.
Glen
Wilson & Williamson from Cumbra, Wilson to India & Australia; Thompson & Hall from Berwick-on-Tweed - Thompson's to New York, Cork & Australia;
Foreman from Middlesex to Australia & Pagliano from Piedmont Italy to Queensland Australia.

Offline broni68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 April 09 04:04 BST (UK) »
Wow!  This is my first time here too and just wanted to say that John Vaughan Thompson is also my Great Great Great Grandfather on my Mother's side!  My sister is researching our family tree and I would love to hear from anyone with more information...especially Glen. It sounds like we are related :)  Not sure how this site works but my email is  (*)   Thanks!!!!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline gresham99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 April 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is also my first time on this site.  John Vaughan THOMPSON is my GGGG-Grandfather.  I am descended from his daughter Ellen Vaughan.
My Lineage is:
John Vaughan THOMPSON = Martha SOLOMON
Ellen Vaughan THOMPSON = Thomas George WILSON
Ellen Emily WILSON = John Baird McIVER
Henrietta Cathcart McIVER = Stanley Ernest SCOTT
Walter Douglas SCOTT = Elsie Orene Pearl SMITH
Margaret Joyce SCOTT = Aubrey Albert GRESHAM
Sue GRESHAM

I don't know much of John Vaughan's life only the little that I have found on the net.  But it is always great to find distant cousins on this family history quest. 

Regards
Sue

Offline broni68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 April 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I'll have to post more here so that I can send you my details in a PM :)  My sister and mother had been researching him.  He is very interesting to read about.  Where do you come from?  We're in Melbourne, Australia.
Nice to meet you,

Broni :)