Author Topic: 21 the Brook Arklow  (Read 26075 times)

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
21 the Brook Arklow
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I'm looking for a place in Arklow called 21 the Brook. As this is where my mum lived in 1953 I think it was her father's house His name was James Dunne Would anyone know if its still there. many thanks. Manus   

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: 21 the Brook Arklow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
hi manus,

it looks like The Brook still exsists;

http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/

scroll down to the bottom of the page.

you can also see it on google maps;

http://maps.google.co.uk/

type in The Brook,Arklow,County Wicklow and it'll come up.

tony

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony thank you very much I will have a look now

Regards Manus

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
  • Catherine Leahy and Francis Meates
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 February 09 00:25 GMT (UK) »
the brook still exists and has houses still in it.. not sure if there is a 21 anyomore..
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 February 09 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gina45
Sorry I have just seen your reply thank you.  I was in Arklow a few year's back for a very short time on my way to Wexford.  I found a street called The Brook but could not find no 21 I walked up and down the road and all the number's were there but not 21.  I did knock on number 23 to asked if there had been a number 21 and they told me they had only be living there 20 years and in all that time they had never seen a number 21 but there was a gap between 20 and 23 where a house could have been. they was really frendly.  So I thought I was in the wrong place.  I was in Arklow  as I wanted  to get a copy of my mother's Baptism from the Church of St Joseph Templerainey as her father did not register her birth.
Can you tell me please if the library has a list of the death's from 1930 as I am trying to find my grandmother her name was Mary Dunne she died from T . B after my mother was born and my grandfather James Dunne never registered her death he must have been in a state as he lost his young wife and was left with 4 children to bring up one of them a new baby.

Regards Manus         

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 March 09 00:11 GMT (UK) »
you probably didnt look in the right place.. you probably went up and down lower main street.. the brook is a little square and the road leads through to south green.. i was born in arklow 47 years ago and i will go down to the brook tomorrow and check for you and will go back on tomorrow night.. i will try take a photo if i find it k.. the only place you can get the birth cert is in the registrar office. health centre, Glenside road, wicklow town.. send the details and 10 euro cheque or postal order and they will send you the long version of the birth cert .. state what you want.. a new hand written one which is often easier to read or a copy of the orginal.. hope that helps.. i will get back to you tomorrow k...
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 March 09 00:12 GMT (UK) »
sorry it costs the same for death certs from the same place.. registrar. wicklow health centre, glenside road, wicklow town.. they are very helpful there..

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 March 09 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gina45

Thank you for your reply and help. It would be lovely if you can get a photo of the place as I would love to see it.  I must say  Arklow is a lovely place My mum used to say it was the Gardens of Ireland and she was very proud of being born there.  Once again thank you

Regards Manus 

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 March 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
have you checked the census for arklow they are on line just type in aklow census and they will come up... there is a couple of mary dunnes on it,,, some as young as three butnot living in the brook as far as i can see..