Author Topic: Census Help - Arthur Mordaunt Wilson  (Read 8020 times)

Offline margogsc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census Help - Arthur Mordaunt Wilson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 March 21 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. I think the Charlotte on the 1901 census is correct. Charles was registered with GRO as Arthur Cecil Jun- Sep 1897 born at Hackney. His DOB on his baptism record is 8 Sep 1897, he was baptised at St Matthew, Islington, London on his 1st birthday and christened Charles Arthur Cecil St Leger Wilson. Home address 120 Rotherfield St, Islington, father a Seaman which fits with Arthur Mordaunt Wilson's chequered history which shows he joined the Merchant Navy when he was 17 (1877), deserted his ship 2 years later at Port Adelaide, Australia (1879), it appears he stayed in Australia for a few years and then returned to England. Cecil St Leger wasn't taken to the US by his Aunt Emmeline so he travelled with someone else probably, as you say, by his parents. Emmeline appears to have inherited some money from her grandmother who left the equivalent of £2 million in today's money. I don't know when she 'adopted' Cecil but she treated him as her own son. I'll do some more searching and let you know what I find, if anything.

Offline Magrat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I just found a death entry in New York for Arthur Wilson aged 49 estimated birth year 1861, died in New York Hospital, Manhattan on 11th December 1910. It gives his parents names as Arthur and Mary and all of them as being born in England. His marital status is given as widowed and his occupation as cook.  Apart from the occupation everything else fits although I have been unable to find a death for Charlotte. It fits with your theory that Charles Arthur Cecil lost his parents when he was young and would place him in New York so that his Aunt Emmeline could care for him. What do you think? Any good? It also stated that he had been a US resident and NYC resident for 20 years which also fits with going out there late in 1888.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Coates,Radcliffe, Bates, Ford, Wooldridge, Draycott, Cooper, Brandish, Munro, Jago, Baker, Dibble, Williams, Coward, Moule, Storey, French, Jacklin
Lancashire, Staffordshire, Essex, London, Cambridgeshire, Dorset, Surrey

Offline margogsc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. Sounds positive. I'll see if I can find out more. His sister was living in Montclair, Essex Co, New Jersey in 1900 Regards Margaret