Author Topic: SHEEHAN (Seaham) JOHNSTON (Whitehaven)  (Read 11314 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: SHEEHAN (Seaham) JOHNSTON (Whitehaven)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 February 09 13:57 GMT (UK) »
From the full GRO index  :)

The reason I mentioned that birth registration in Tynemouth, is that there's a family from Cumberland living there in 1901 - and maybe she came from Seaton not Seaham??

1901 RG13/4795  Folio 171  Page 26
30 Davis Street, Wallsend
SHEEHAN
John       28 Hewer 
Elizabeth      28
John      4
Daniel     2
all born Cleator Moor Cumberland

Do either of the children's names ring a bell?

Best to get the marriage cert really, for father's name and occupation

Barbara  :)

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 February 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the info you have, it seems as if most of it is based on family "oral history" ?

I can see the death registration of Eleanor, in March qtr, 1962. aged 59.

But as yet I cannot see other records that should show up to match your other info !

Although Seaham had many Irish ( including workers from County Sligo encouraged to work in Lord Londonderry's coal mines) Whitehaven had a larger Irish element.  Like a smaller version of Liverpool, many Irish entered England in 1800s etc, via Whitehaven.

Is it possible that Eleanor was born in Ireland, not England ?

The name "Eleanor" is a variation of the name "Helen", but many Irish preferred the "Ellen" variation ?

You quote " George Johnston c. 1969 "   Is that his death year ?

Yes its all word of mouth history. George was born around 1869, sorry my mistake. I think Eleanor was known as Eleanor, very loosly maybe Ellen but not Helen. She may well have been born in Ireland but Grandad was quite sure she was from a family once in Seaham area.
Thanks Michael, how did you find this out? Ta Elz x

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 February 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
From the full GRO index  :)

The reason I mentioned that birth registration in Tynemouth, is that there's a family from Cumberland living there in 1901 - and maybe she came from Seaton not Seaham??

Thanks Barbara, yes it is possible Seaton rather than Seaham which is something I had not considered because that is the town always mentioned, but may have been misheard. Cleator Moor is not far at all from Whitehaven or Egremont so that is a possibility too. I am going to get the marriage certificate then for fathers details. Cheers! Elz x

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 February 09 14:16 GMT (UK) »
No point guessing any more until you get the cert, please do come back and post the details on here then we'll see if we can help you further

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 February 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »

And brush up on geogha... there is several communities in Northumberland and Durham called Seaton... if fact Seaton is a neighbour of Seaham.. you might even take the ocassional refresher in the Seaton Lane Inn.

Also there was/is a community called Seaton about 10 miles north of Whitehaven.

But as Barbara suggests, all will we hope be revealed when you get the marriage cert !

Michael Dixon

PS Are you asking where folk get their info to reply to message board queries ?
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 February 09 15:23 GMT (UK) »

And brush up on geogha...
Also there was/is a community called Seaton about 10 miles north of Whitehaven.

Quite right Michael, an interesting thought, must away and brush up my geog too!
(although Elz did say her grandad used to walk to & fro between Cumberland and the North East ....)  :-\

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 February 09 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I've ordered the marriage certificate! ;)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 February 09 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Very good, please let us know the details when it arrives  :)

Barbara

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 20:15 GMT (UK) »
While I am waiting for the marriage certificate to arrive... ive had a look at local sites and found the www.Durhamrecordsonline.com
 and read a bit about Seaham. Seems the area is listed as Easington District and I thought it would have been Sunderland? Interesting anyway. Quite a few Sheehans, most born in Ireland.