Author Topic: Bruce family from Watten  (Read 19158 times)

Offline WendyWh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce family from Watten
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 August 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Glad to help ...  :)

I'm researching (John) George Rombach b. 1838 who married Margaret Duff b 1840 ... and I'm guessing that in one way or another all these Rombachs are related.

I'm totally stuck with my tree now ... I found two children of George & Margaret. John G Rombach b. 1873 & Agnes b. 1878.

John G married Elizabeth Gordo Ross in 1891 and they had a daughter Margaret D Rombach.

Agnes married George Edwin Hall in Pontefract in 1912 and had a daughter Margaret Duff Hall in Edinburgh 27 May 1919.

Most of my research has been in England and I am a total novice at research in Scotland. So could I pick your brains and ask if  there is any way I can find out if Margaret Duff Hall married and had children ?? ... or even if she had brothers and sisters ??

Regards
Wendy

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 August 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

You've got a wee bit of a problem here trying to search for this marriage on line - assuming she was married IN SCOTLAND!  The Scottish records only allow you to search marriages up to 1933 and your Margaret Duff Hall would have only been 16 years old then - old enough to marry in Scotland but unlikely!

I tried a Death search for you using her full name but there were no matches.  There were, however, only 5 matches in the whole of Scotland for MARGARET HALL between 1919 and 2006.

You would need to register on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, spend a minumum of £6.00 on your Credit or Debit Card to get 30 credits and look at the results.  To look at the list of all 5 would cost you 1 Credit.  To look at each, or any one you considered a possibility, or all in turn, would cost you a further 5 credits for each.

You would then be able to download and save the page from the register.

It's a long shot, but if she was married, her spouse's details would be there ... 'married to' would mean he outlived her ... 'widow of' would mean otherwise! There could also be the name of a son or daughter as 'Informant' of her death had her spouse pre-deceased her.

The other solution is to visit GRH in Edinburgh personally and search!

I hope this helps.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WendyWh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 August 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi ...

... and thank you for the help :)

I am a total novice with the Scottish records ... I have tried a couple of possibilities for at at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but my guess is that she married sometime after 1946.

If I do go to GRH in Edinburgh would I then be able to search the marriage records manually ??

Wendy

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 August 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

I've sent you a PM

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline westbeach

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ciad

I hope this will be of interest to you ..

Charles Rombach was born in Eschbach, Frieburg, Baden Germany on 14th of February 1838.  He was the third child of Joseph Rombach b1803 (variously described as a horse dealer, grocer and farmer) and Theresia Ruef / Ruff b1805 daughter of Placidus Ruef and Maria Ketterer.

Children
Joseph   b1834
Agatha  b1836
Karl (Charles)  b1838  died Glasgow 1899
Theresia   b1839
Leopold   b1844 

Joseph, Charles and Leopold came to Scotland.

Charles is a Clock Merchant living in Pultneytown at the time of his marrriage to Annie Sutherland in 1863.  I came on to this board looking for information on clock suppliers / makers in the area at that time (didn't find anything) then read this post and found out about Charlotte Rhomback.  Fascinating.
Could I have some information about her and her mother to add to my Rombach information.

Also, do you know why on the registration of Charlotte's marriage is her mother given as Ann Sutherland and on her death certificate her mother is Johan McLeod.

Best wishes

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 November 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Chiad Fhear,  there was a Watch/Clock dealer in Glasgow in the 60s, Schatz Rombach any connection?....Skoosh.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 November 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi 'westbeach' and 'Skoosh'

Thanks for the additional information.  I don't think Schatz Rombach is connected but 'westbeach' will possibly know.

The Ann Sutherland / Johan McLeod 'mystery' is easily explained ... Johan was Karl (Charles) wife from his second marriage.  I think Ann may have died but have yet to establish that.

I will PM you 'westbeach' so I can send you my Rombach file from my Laing family records

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline Duant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
Mistake

Offline Sirod Lehte

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 January 12 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chiad
Regarding information about Alexander Bruce who married Janet Millar Patterson and are buried in Ayr, Queensland.  I think I may be able to help you in this area.
I realize this is a couple of years after your post but I am just new to this.
Regards
Sirod Lehte