Author Topic: Birth record, Hong Kong, 1869  (Read 2409 times)

Offline alftabor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alf
    • View Profile
Birth record, Hong Kong, 1869
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:53 GMT (UK) »
My grand Uncle Henry Tabor was born in Hong Kong in 1869 according to a Family bible
I have contacted the Authorities in Hong Kong with no result(no record)
Where else would he be recorded?
Father Charles Herbert Tabor
Mother Emily Sarah Tabor
The family and one son and one daughter born in Kingston SE. South Australia
travelled to Japan in that year.
Parents British Subjects born in England,domiciled in Australia.
Regards Alf
Tabor=Wiltshire-Australia-Japan-Argentina/Canada/USA
Millman=Dorset-Australia
Oxlade=Buckinghamshire-Australia
Wilkins=Wiltshire-Australia
Bassett=Bermondsey,Australia
Alt=London,Nagasaki,Surrey

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record, Hong Kong, 1869
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi my Clifton /Limby  family were born in hong Kong in 1850-60. Go onto google books and put the name in ,. They were often in the newspaper. also i wrote to shanghai as my family went there and the Chinese embassy wrote back that all the records had gone back to Britain so go onto a2a . i found two wills from my family there . Look on the travel sites of ancestry .com. the people in Asia travelled back and forth a lot . i also found mine in two English census . I am not up with the history but maybe there was a war going on as mine went to england , Hong Kong , shanghai and  Brisbane Australia . Clifton ......
All the best . Jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 14 22:32 GMT (UK) »
What is a2a?
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 December 14 08:51 GMT (UK) »
hi there

research of Hong Kong can be successfully achieved on many levels...... As a former British colony a lot of the later births deaths and marriages appear on a microfische found at larger genealogical societies and large libraries throughout the world..... if you live in the united kingdom go to your local registry office and make enquiry where they have copies of the indexes stored. Next check the indexes of findmypast as some civil registry appears on that website.
I strongly suggest a post on the HK boards of ancestry.com as they have a high return of answers.

A lot of Brits in HK were actually in the services with their families and i would ensure that the people you seek werent actually born in UK or India for that matter.

you say  you are after material from about the time of the Opium Wars.......     there are some probate references on anc if the probates were settled in London or the Prero Court of canterbury.

Also check the war records.......... of the NAA site

I would strongly suggest the writing of letters to the HK library once you have something to ask....

A lot of folk that went to HK in the period you seek were also of the East India Company and I suggest checking their lists....

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Hong_Kong    this link offers near little but check with cindis list........      also type directly into google with surnames of folk + HK genealogical databases.....

i also note that you suggest that the authorities had zip.......    well civil registration was not manditory then and you need to contact the diocese churches in HK....... for christenings etc...if in fact the family used them at all
good luck

fastfusion

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 December 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
There's a family tree on FamilySearch (yes, submitted but names, dates and lots of details there which you should be able to verify).
According to that tree- Charles Herbert Tabor & Emily Sarah Bassett has 11 children. 3rd child, Henry Frederick born 28 Dec.1869 Hong Kong and 4th one (1871) born Japan...
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:SY5L-S5H
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 December 14 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Family also listed in Bassett family tree-
http://www.bassettbranches.org/tng/getperson.php?personID=I56&tree=163B

Sincwe your original post was in 2009 you've hopefully been able to find lots more information on the family  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!