Author Topic: Hillman/Black Families  (Read 3712 times)

Offline oldmedic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hillman/Black Families
« on: Monday 16 February 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the birth/baptism or any other information on  Alexander Hillman Black (also known as George Alexander Hillman Black), who was born 12 Aug 1851. 

He had emigrated to Manitoba, Canada by 1872/73. No records of any British Subject emigrating to Canada were kept.

His parents are listed as James Black (reportedly born in Scotland) and Mary Hillman.

The ONLY Hillman families listed in Griffith's Valuation were in the area of Magherfelt, and in the Parish of Boveagh.  There were also Black families in those locations.  Both family names also show up in the 1831 Census Index.

Alexander Black was a Presbyterian in Canada, so I would presume that his family were Presbyterian (Church of Scotland) also.  He was also reportedly a member of the Orange Order in Canada (this can not be confirmed, as there sinply are no records of any of the Orange Lodges in his area of Manitoba).

He was supposedly a "remittance man", paid an annual sum not to return to Ireland.  The family stories are that he was involved in a scandal with a Catholic girl (again, no proof at all).

Family stories state that his father was some kind of a government official.

ANY help in identifying his family would be greatly appreciated.

You can contact me at"  (*), if you would prefer.

Thank you,

Lynton (Bill) Stewart

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
My email address is not working at the moment.