Author Topic: gypsies  (Read 14153 times)

Offline missjo123

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
gypsies
« on: Thursday 22 April 04 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Sorry seems like im always asking for help.

While im awaiting my grandads birth certificate,  i decided to look at my family on my mothers side,  my great grandmother has always had a bit of a mystery surrounding her, or that is what ive been lead to believe by family members.

Her name was Isabel Mcbean Frazer (by marriage),  and maiden name Hynds (which unfortunately at present no one knows if that spelling is correct).  She was a true spanish gypsy.

Now will i have trouble finding her?

Obviously i wil look for into the correct spelling of her maiden name.

Many thanks

Josie
JOSIE XX

blood, hooper, fraser/frazer, wickham

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:gypsies
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 04 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie,

My husband has gypsy ancestry on his side.  I have been lucky in that I found someone else researching the same family who was able to give me quite a bit of information.

My lot are a bit 'hit and miss' on the census returns although it does help that they are 'house dwelling' Gypsies from the late 1800's onwards.  Because of their travelling around baptisms and marriages are not that easy to find, but quite oftens they gave their children quite distinctive forenames which makes it that bit easier to track them via the IGI.

One of the best resources is the Romany and Traveller Family History Society.  The link for them is http://website.lineone.net/~rtfhs/.

Hope this helps.

Sasha.

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 04 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Josie,

There are quite a few links dotted all over the site. If you click the search button and type the word "Traveller" it should bring up some additional links which you may find usefull  :)

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Janet B

• RootsChat Member
  • For those who follow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 April 04 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Another site which may be useful is

www.nwon.com/pauline/Travellers.html

this site contains lots of info on travelling show people, with some census data.

Also try typing gypsies into your search engine.

cheers
Janet  :)

This link has already been posted previously and can be found by using the search button
King, Tinkler & Fountain- Cambridge/Hunts area
Fitzgerald Maxwell - Cavan Ireland
Ridley - Northumberland
Cragg Metcalfe Chapelhow Dent - Westmorland
Kellet, Wrigley,Tattersall, Thornber, Billington, Bolton, Hornby, Walmsely, Edmundson - Lancashire
Smith, Calver Powley- Norfolk

Census infomation is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 April 04 12:32 BST (UK) »
I'm currently researching "potters" (the description NOT the name) in Cumbria.  I'm still not sure that my LOWTHERs are of Romany stock but they definitely have connections to travelling YOUNGs who are.

Anyway the point of my post is that I bought an excellent little book from the Family Records Centre called "My Ancestors were Gypsies" by Sharon Sillers Floate.  And it is excellent for pulling together all the different sources of information.

One interesting exercise I have done with the IGI is start from a known parish where births were registered and using Hugh Wallis' batch number site and a county map of parishes work outward on contiguous parishes.  Or do a broad brush search and find the parishes with the concentrations of names - check the census are there travelling folk?  It's great fun.  I've found the routes some of my Lowther's travelled around Lancashire and Cumberland.

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 April 04 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Bongie Pam

I think this site will be of great help to you

Romany & Traveller FHS
CONTACT: Mrs J. Keet-Black, 6 St.James Walk, South Chailey, East Sussex, BN8 4BU
WEB-SITE: website.lineone.net/~rtfhs

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline lovin lass

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: gypsies
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 12:42 BST (UK) »
just browsing through the site and came across this topic
i originate from the romany gypsies from birmingham surname the loveridges
there is actually a book published about them havnt bought it yet but hoping to buy a copy when i visit b,ham next
best wishes angie
hewitts of birmingham
jones of ladywood
beddows of birmingham
harrison of birmingham
gibsons of birmingham

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 13:47 BST (UK) »
How can you tell if an ancestor was Romany, like in the censuses?

I remember reading that in some documents a long time ago they were called "Egyptians" beacuse people wrongly thought they came from Egypt - they are originally from NW India.
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Xphile

You can't really tell if an ancestor was Romany from census returns.  Mostly people are aware of a Romany background due to little snippets of information passed down through the family.

However, indications (from census returns) that a family might come from travelling stock are:

Frequent movement ie. children born in different locations

Persistant itinerant occupations/descriptions ie. Gypsy, traveller, stranger, wayfarer, hawker, scavenger, tramp, peg maker, basket maker, chair bottomer, besom/broom maker, dealer, marine store dealer, mat maker, tinsmith, whitesmith, pedlar, fair keeper (many Gypsies worked the fairs in those days as well as the more proper showmen) etc. etc..  Obviously there are people following these occupations that didn't have traveller origins but they are some of the signs to look out for.

Abode given as cart, house cart, van, caravan, tent, shed, barn in the address column.  Prior to 1861 there was no requirement to list those not living in houses but in 1861 special forms (usually at the end of each district) are to be found recording those not living in houses.  In the later census, these families are mostly listed in chronological order as they appear on the census enumerator's route.  Although there was no requirement to list them in 1841 and 1851,some counties have better coverage than others ie. Sussex has quite a few whereas Kent is not so good.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk