Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 6 Episode #3: Rick Stein  (Read 18584 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 6 Episode #3: Rick Stein
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I agree, ive found this series the most boring, my favourite episode, was in the last series, that model(forget her name now) who was on the dancing show too hmmm no still dont remember her name LOL... but traced her fam back thru canada and america etc, oh and ainsley harriots one was interesting.. hmm and stephen frys... yep last series was 100 times better LOL
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree, ive found this series the most boring, my favourite episode, was in the last series, that model(forget her name now) who was on the dancing show too hmmm no still dont remember her name LOL... but traced her fam back thru canada and america etc, oh and ainsley harriots one was interesting.. hmm and stephen frys... yep last series was 100 times better LOL

LOL the funny thing is .............. I know EXACTLY who you mean, but I cant think of her name either!

yeah this series is a big disapointment after the last ones ....... The ones I liked most were Sue Johnston (cos it was railways) and Bill Oddies (lol northern roots!) ......... Up till this season I think I have actually enjoyed all of them ............

Actually wondering if its a new production company making this series? or a new director, cos its way off the usual standard.

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Gaille & Truebritmega

Jodie Kidd?

Brie

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Actually wondering if its a new production company making this series? or a new director, cos its way off the usual standard.

I was thinking exactly the same.  The brief must have been, lets try and explore different angles but somehow lost the plot and centered too much on his father's mental illness.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, totally boring.  My wife fell asleep, but I slogged it out until the end, hoping that at one point it would become vaguely interesting - but alas it didn't.  It's a long time since I've seen such self-indulgent rubbish on the screen.  Still, Mr Stein got a nice free jolly to China at the licence payer's expense.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fue

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Jane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I just found found the missionary grandfather on the 1891 census. RG 12/ 749/ 123/ 50.
I'm interested to see that he was born in Antigua, West Indies about 1840.
That would have been another interesting line of enquiry.

Gosh Jenb that is interesting info, I wonder why they did not use this information??
Williams (S. Wales/Worcester)
Eagles (Gloucester/Liverpool),

S. Wales/Devon/Somerset:
Havard, Hortop, Jenkins, Martin, Marshall, Lethbridge, Hearn/Hern

Northampton/Leicestershire
Ainge, Barker,Stevenson, Allan, Dickens

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Well I have to say I agree with most of the comments here and its a shame I was looking forward to this one.

Funnily enough it was the same subject matter as the very first WDYTYA with Bill Oddie, his mother's illness but somehow that episode was so much better and more interesting, anyone remember the two old nurses?

I would have liked to have seen a bit more about his german roots.

My OH commented on Rick's first comment about not being too embarrassed or crying etc and wonders if he refused to let a whole chunk be shown for some reason  ::) ::)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Still, Mr Stein got a nice free jolly to China at the licence payer's expense.

Well most of the celebrities featured seem to have some foreign roots, Ainsley Harriott, Colin Jackson, Stephen Fry, Meera Syal, Jerry Springer, David Baddiel to name a few.  Jodie Kidd, as mentioned above, went to the US and Canada!

I doubt any of the celebs know what they are likely to find out before they go, probably not even the production team know exactly what will happen. So in some cases it may be a fruitless journey, and others fruitfull.

My licence sadly pays for more programmes that I dont watch, than do, but I would rather they paid for Amanda Redman to fly to Ireland to trace her family tree (Series 1),  than another omnibus edition of Eastenders.

Gaille - Our family trees may be more interesting than a celebs, but I cant see anyone else tuning in to watch it, and that would be, from a broadcaster's point of view, a total waste of money.

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline Benn2509

• RootsChat Senior
  • Benn Westwood 1977 - Present
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Well, I was looking forward to this but fell asleep just before it started - looks like I didn't miss anything!! Lets hope if there is going to be another series that they totally change the structure of the programme, and go back to the ways of the early programmes, i.e Bill Oddie, Jeremy Clarkson, Sue Johnstone, Jeremy Paxman etc......
I must say though - 'so you think you're royal' was good last night!
Benn.
Westwood. Johnson. Webbon. Duffy. Street. Turner. Haycock. McGlynn. Cogan. Reavey.