Author Topic: Archelaus Hancock of Stoke, Derbyshire  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Lil Fox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Archelaus Hancock of Stoke, Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Are you from Sheffield originally?

When I went up Ecclesall on Saturday, (must have been totally mad but there you go) there was still snow up there in the cemetery grounds, also the church grounds, it was just like a skating rink in some parts! It was still bitterly cold but when I get the urge to go digging I am like a dog with a bone!! I was disappointed there was no sign of any grave or any MI, so it looks like a visit to the archives when I get the chance to visit. It was too cold really to be searching but sometimes find it better as the graves if unattended are not overgrown with fauna! So finished up going for a drink in the pub opposite the church. Funnily enough to show what a small world this is, my friend used to have the cheese shop across the way there from the church. At that time I didn't know that another of my ancestors on the Thompson line was buried there.........

With what you were saying about the Hancocks in the Riley Graves. The family may well probably link to them eventually. Have you been on the website 'Wishful Thinking' done by Rosemary Lockie? If you you haven't already take a look. I think I once remember reading somewhere that there was only one surviving member of the family who perished from the plague and that was because he was working in Sheffield at the time. Will have to get my papers out again...... not sure if his name was George....

Ethel was my greatgrandmother, I am not sure if I have a photograph of her somewhere so will have to dig those out to! My father was born and raised for part of his life in Vincent Road, this is where Ethel Hancock and her husband Henry Love lived for a number of years.

I came here looking for help with Archelaus and found a distant cousin  :)

Offline Woolspinster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'm from Sheffield, I still live relatively locally.  I try to get to the cemetery sometime in the spring.

I have been on Rosemary Lockie's site for other branches of the family but never for Hancocks so will take another look. Thanks :)
I think I read something similar about the mother if the Riley graves Hancocks going to live with her son in Sheffield in " The Histories and Antiquities of Eyam"

I will be happy to share more info about my side of the family by personal message if you like. I'm pretty amazed that I stumbled across this thread, I haven't done much research or looked at Rootschat for a very long time and yet when I decided to take a look, this was almost the first thing I saw.

Hope someone can help with Archelaus too!

Offline Lil Fox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I am Sheffield born and bred but don't live there any more, but not far!

I will pm my email address if I can, that's if you would like, but will leave that one entirely upto you. May be if we put our heads together we can work further back!

I feel sorry for the poor fella being called Archelaus, quite a mouthful! He was a confectioner/baker and would love to know why he moved from Stoke into the city whilst the other Archelaus Hancock roundabout the same time stayed in Derbyshire.

A friend told me about Rootschat. I have been on other websites for quite a number of years....... so here I am  ;D

Offline Woolspinster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, please do send me your e-mail address, I would love to be able to get further back if we can, you never know.

Archelaus is a new one on me, although I have noticed that there were a lot of foreign, maybe Italian sounding names in the family, don't know why.

Will wait to hear from you.

Offline Lil Fox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Will have a go at pm'ing my email address......

Interesting point with the Italian sounding names, now on my father's side of the family, especially my father, brother and niece are dark skinned and dark haired. I was once told when researching my married name, that some Italians came over and plied their skills in the cutlery trade, but how true this was or when they came over is another story.

I also found that on the Edward's side of my father's family according to WWI army papers of a family member that he had dark brown hair, blue eyes and complexion brown!