Author Topic: Aukland - Frankham and Bishop family  (Read 19979 times)

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aukland - Frankham and Bishop family
« Reply #36 on: Monday 19 October 09 02:39 BST (UK) »
Was very interested in your search - I am connected to William John Frankham, son of Henry Grove whose family finally gets back to Keynesham... and with Walter Frankham throughout the generations was hoping for a connection to your lineage... Have you come across the following
http://www.keysalthist.org.uk/online.htm
- certainly worth a look if you haven't...
William John Frankham came to South Australia as part of the crew of ship HARWICH, and had a large family here, although there are not a lot of descendants as many of his children died young from tuberculosis.
Regards
Paula
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 04:45 GMT (UK) »
For a long time in my research notes I have had the name Alfred Gersham FRANKHAM, wondering if I would put him into the tree one day...
I recently came across a marriage announcement in the newspaper
FRANKHAM-OAKLEY
On the 29th ult. at Litchfield, Wace-street Toorak, the residence of H R Bow Esq. Albert Gersham FRANKHAM, second son of Walter Frankham of Auckland, to Mary OAKLEY, the daughter of the late Edward OAKLEY, Wolverston, England.  Home papers to copy.

Thought this may connect to your interest somehow...
Regards
Paula

PS - This was in The Argus (Melb), 1st July 1891
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this is my Walter Frankham although they are probably the same family.
My family connection is with his wife Elizabeth Bishop.
She married Walter Frankham in CLifton Bristol in 1861 - she had moved there to work.
He was a carpenter
They emigrated to New Zealand in 1874 on the SS Lauderdale.
They did have a large family - children were Walter James (b 1862) Albert G (b1865) Amy ALice (1866) Edith (1868) Charles Henry (1870) Clement (1876) Harold (1878) and John (1881)
HAve you linked in with any of these?

lizb
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Charles Henry & Minnie Frankham's son ...... there is a picture of him

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/cenotaph/RecordDetail.aspx?OriginalID=5114&SearchID=1438353&Ordinal=2

At that time the parents were living at Jervois Rd, Auckland

Cheers
KHP :)

Just took a look at that link. That's the same battalion my great uncle (also called Walter) was in.
They were even on the same vessel, the Waitemata. I have  some further bits and bobs if you're interested, just send me a pm with your email and I'll forward what I have.

You should get his service papers from the archway archive, they're full of useful information.

Regards,
Ann

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
They did have a large family - children were Walter James (b 1862) Albert G (b1865) Amy ALice (1866) Edith (1868) Charles Henry (1870) Clement (1876) Harold (1878) and John (1881)

Albert Gersham FRANKHAM was born 10 Apr 1864 - I have no parents listed and have not sourced the birthdate, although I am building up a life for him, as he seems to crop up in my research often.  Do you think this could be the Albert G. son of Walter and Elizabeth FRANKHAM nee BISHOP?  Do you have more info on Albert and where he went?

I don't have a link into this family, but probably further back as the family seems to have originated from Keynesham.
Regards
Paula
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I am reasonably sure it is the same Albert.
My Albert was born in Clevdon, SOmerset, England 1864-1865.
I have this info from English 1871 census when family was living in Kentish town London.

I also have the family - parents and five eldest children and Elizabeth's sister - on Lauderdale arriving Auckland 30 Jan 1874 per Auckland area passenger lists.
There is a gap in children born between 1870 and 1876 so there could have been further children who died.
I had not found any further info on Albert though I have some on his siblings

I am interested in following up family descendents in World War One so will send PM with my email address for further info.
Also quite a bit of info on Harold Frankham (b1878) who died as result of woulnds in Boer war.

Very interested in this family as my Elizabeth was one of at least five brothers and sisters who went to New Zealand. I have as  many relatives there as in the UK! I mUst arrange to visit.

Incidentally is the Toorak where the wedding took place in Australia?

lizb
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 19 November 09 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally is the Toorak where the wedding took place in Australia?

Yes, Toorak is a suburb of Melbourne, and they married at the residence of H. R. Bow Esq.

I firstly came across Albert in the employ of the River Murray Waters Commission, working as a clerk.  He was emplyed there from 9 Mar 1892 to 1 Jul 1905. He must have worked elsewhere for the Waterworks, as he resigned in 1910.  (My FRANKHAM also worked for the Waterworks, and I noted Albert's name thinking they may have been related.)  Between 1894 and 1910 Albert lived at 33 Albert St, Goodwood Park in South Australia. (This I found in the South Australian Directories).
I have also come across him in the Electoral Rolls on Ancestry - 1924 14 The Avenue, Surrey Hills, with Mary Ann at the same address.
1932 153a Auburn Rd, retired. Mary Ann was not listed.
1936 517a Auburn Rd, retired, with Mary Ann.
There are two children - Lancelot born 12 oct 1892 at North Unley, South Australia and Harold born 24 August 1901 at Goodwood, South Australia

I've checked the Births for South Australia for Mary Ann OAKLEY and cannot find her, but suspect she may have come from Victoria, seeing they married there.
Albert (I've also found it Alfred) was in South Australia by 1892, and may have come to Adelaide for some reason before moving to Victoria.
That is all I have, but will keep looking for him...
Regards
Paula

When I relook at the dates - they married in June 1891 in Victoria, so he probably came to Australia via Melbourne and then went to SA for employment... and then back to Victoria...
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 19 November 09 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying this and adding extra information. I am sure it is my family now.

You say their second son Harold was born 24 August 1901. Well, Albert's younger brother Harold died in Albany Australia on 4 July 1901.
It's amazing how things come to fit together. Brother Harold was taken ill on his way home to New Zealand from fighting in South Africa. I have found quite a lot about his death in the newspaper archive - even a poem someone wrote!

Like you I gather information when I find it and it is great when one can fit it in with some later research. I also follow up a lot of extra stories I come accross just out of interest.

Please let me know if you come across anything more on this family. If yo give me some summary details of your Frankham in the UK I will let you know if I come across anything that matches your family.

Incidentally I grew up in South Bristol near Keynsham. Although I haven't been there for a long time I still have an old school friend living there and am hoping to visit her sometime next year. So if you want any photos of churches or graves I might be able to get them then.

lizb

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 29 January 10 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across the following in one of my folders - for Albert Gersham Frankham
From a magazine called the Public Service Review from 1910 - Mr A. G. Frankham, who occupied the position of shorthand and typewriter to the Hydraulic Engineer has resigned his position after 18 years service to enter into private business.  Mr Frankham entered the Service when shorthand-writers and typists were not so plentiful as at present, and fully justified his appointment, as he was an exceedingly expert exponent of the dual arts.  He was chosen from a number of applicants for the position of shorthand writer to the River Murray Waters Commission in 1902, and carried out the duties with such ability as to call forth the highest encomiums from the chairman.  Of quiet and gentlemanly demeanor, Mr Frankham earned the respect of his fellow officers, who greatly regret his departure from the ranks of the Service.
Helps add a personality to him.
Regards
Paula
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia