Author Topic: Help with SMITH & BIRCH please  (Read 9115 times)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with SMITH & BIRCH please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 February 09 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Who does Wisdom Birch born Dec qtr 1866 at Lincoln belong to?  And is he Sunney Birch on the 1871, who then appears to die aged 5 in Mar qtr 1872, Grantham?

There is a birth for a Sunney Smith June qtr 1866 at E. Retford, but what would then seem to be a corresponding death in Sep qtr 1866 at Sleaford.

I’m just thinking with this Wisdom Birch born 1866, in the same qtr, and also at Lincoln, there is a death for a Wisdom Smith aged 50.  Could Wisdom Birch have been named for Wisdom Smith?  If so it might prove a link back to the Wisdom Smith family.

Does anyone know which Wisdom Smith died in 1866?  Was it the one born c.1818 at Benefield, Northamptonshire, who married Hannah Newbury, as I have him dying before 1871?

Jo.  :)

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 February 09 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Jo

I'm fairly sure Wisdom Smith 1818 IS the one who died 1866. He's in the records as being aged 50 at death, Lincoln Vol 7a, page 259, so it matches.

Your suggestion, as much as I hate the idea, does sound feasible. I'm desperate not to find any closer links with this fmily than I've already got lol

BG :)

Murden - Warwickshire & Nottinghamshire
Bower - Nottinghamshire (mainly Newark)
Crowder - Mansfield Nottinghamshire & Devon
Price - Newark,  Nottinghamshire
Ingleton - Skillington, Lincolnshire
Smith - All parts of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire especially Wisdom Smith, Robert & Evening Smith

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 21:12 GMT (UK) »
i have a huge birch tree around the areas of the west country mainly devon and hampshire.my birchs started in the 1700s as chimmney sweeps.some i know went north so would love it if you find any connections to west country travellers by the name of birch.cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline kellysmith999

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 November 09 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I've also noticed you have connections with the Dolbys.

The Smiths, Dolbys, Bowers, Places, Beards, Crowders and Prices all intermarried. The connection seems to be around gipsies. Certainly Dolbys, Beards, Bowers and Prices were all hawkers of some sort, mainly earthernware so its likely that they met up with gipsy families on their travels, but it's quite possible that some of them were gipsies too.

BG  :)
hello i am searching my family and was pleased to find that you had mention the surname crowder .i recently found on cencus my distant grt grt grt grandparents were a george crowder and sarah surname unknown yet .anyways it said there occupations were hawkers .george and sarahs daughter elizabeth married a joseph cooper .do you know anymore about these familys also i have been told by relatives we are linked to the price and smith family but how i dont know . on josephs and elizabeths marriage cert it says the witnesses were henry smith and ann cooper .could we somehow be linked ? greatful for any help thanks kelly smithx

Offline Suanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 November 09 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

I am linked to the Dolby,Smith,Birch,Price families.  They were mainly Hawkers Chimney sweeps and earthernware dealers.  From around the Lincolshire/Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire areas.  Are you a member of Ancestry.co.uk?  If so you could look at my family tree.

Let me know

Sue
DOLBY/DALBY - Lincs, Leices, Notts.
HANCOCK - Devon
PETTS - Kent
KENT - Kensington, Marylebone, St Pancras
MAGOR - Southwark, Lambeth

Offline kellysmith999

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 November 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

I am linked to the Dolby,Smith,Birch,Price families.  They were mainly Hawkers Chimney sweeps and earthernware dealers.  From around the Lincolshire/Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire areas.  Are you a member of Ancestry.co.uk?  If so you could look at my family tree.

Let me know

Sue
thanks for replying yes i am on ancestry my tree is rather empty at the moment and i am not a full memebr so i can tool at trees unfortunatley . i would love to know more about my family but every time i think ive found them i am thrown into i wrong direction its strange . i would love to look at youre tree if it were possible thanks again for replying my email is (*). thanks agian x kelly smith

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline hostile17

• RootsChat Member
  • Gizmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 May 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this will help you or do as it has to me (got me confused) but i just received my great grandmothers birth certificate. Name : Lydia Newbury, Date of birth 18th February 1884, Daughter of Clark Newbury and Hannah Smith, the birth was registered on the 23rd February 1884 in Grantham, Lincolnshire. There is no signature but there is the mark of Caroline Birch (present at the birth, her address is 1 Vere Court, Little Gonerby). The confusing part is it states that Lydia was born at 2 Vere Court, Little Gonerby, USA. How could someone be born in the USA and then registered in Lincolnshire, U.K. 5 days later.
Smith, Elliott, Newbury/Newberry, Boswell, Rutherford, Gray, Mobbs, Heron/Hearn

Offline Suanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 May 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Hostile17,

Well if it is any help Caroline Birch did live Vere Court, Little Gonerby and was married to Azey Birch.     Caroline's had a daughter Hannah but she married George Rouse in 1888. I wonder if Caroline had a sister Hannah?? I have found the marriage of Clark Newbury but this is to Annie Smith, June 1/4 1883  I think it might be a mistake saying that Lydia was born USA. Do you have any other evidence to lead you to her being born USA?
DOLBY/DALBY - Lincs, Leices, Notts.
HANCOCK - Devon
PETTS - Kent
KENT - Kensington, Marylebone, St Pancras
MAGOR - Southwark, Lambeth

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 May 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Hostile17

Clark Newbury parents were William Newbury and Abigail Smith ( a Romany woman )
I would say it was very likely Caroline Smith wife of Azey Birch/Smith was a relative and reason at the birth. Another reason women would not like a stranger to help with birthing.

Name:   Abigal Smith
Baptism Date:   22 Mar 1829
Baptism Place:   Bytham-Castle, Lincoln, England
Father:   Wisdom Smith
Mother:   Maria Smith

Name:   Abigail Smith married William Newbury
Registration Year:   1849
Registration Quarter:   Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district:   Grantham Lincolnshire
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk