Author Topic: Burgess-Spalding - a puzzle/condundrum  (Read 33619 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burgess-Spalding - a puzzle/condundrum
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 February 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
But they didn't go to New Brunswick as far as I know - they went to stay with John in Toronto and then to William's in Bruce County. . I suppose they could have been there temporarily after the crossing.

My cousins in Canada have sent me the info from Ontario.

are you sure that you've got the correct family?

I'll go check it out - I do have full access to Ancestry.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 February 09 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Just checked - it was Bentick, Grey County, Ontario (West)

It is the correct family.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 February 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »
You got it.  Great. I  only remembered  the New Brunswick form of this census off-hand, thats why I asked you to clarify who you were referring to  :)
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 February 09 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes - cousins sent me the details of that about 3-4 years ago. I hadn't seen the image before though.

I'm trying to trace her in-laws now.

Offline showart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 April 09 06:44 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Gadget,
     This is my first posting so be gentle if I don't follow the myriad instructions, warnings and procedures of this forum.
     I can't help push your search beyond the Spalding-Burgess connection, but I have been doing some research recently for a friend whose relatives are descendants of the above couple.
     John BURGESS (b. abt. 1784, Kirkcudbrightshire, d. 1871-76, Peel County, Ontario, Canada) and his wife Jean /Jane McDOUGALL (b. abt. 1791, Scotland, d. March 7, 1879, Peel County, Ontario) are my friend's connections.
      It's possible I have access to some morsel that might be of use to you (and maybe vice versa). Would you prefer to follow up on this offline, or is it required to keep everything public?
     Looking forward to your reply.
showart

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi showart  :)

Are they Canadian by any chance?

I've had contact with some of John and Jean's descendants in Canada for a 5 or so years now - in Hamilton and in Alberta. They passed on quite a few letters.

You can't mention any living people by name on the site or give your e-mail.

The best thing is to make a couple more posts on this thread and then you can send me a Personal Message (PM)

Regards

Gadget

Offline showart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 April 09 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
     Thank you for your reply, and thanks for the heads-up on having to post three messages and click my ruby shoes three times before the Wiz lets me deliver a Personal Message to you.
     Is my friend Canadian? If that's what you meant, yes she is. She traces her line from Georgina BURGESS, daughter of John BURGESS and Jean McDOUGALL. Georgina was born about 1826, Kirkcudbrightshire (christened March 10, 1826, Balmaclellan) and died about 1898, Ontario.
     Georgina married William LAWSON (b. abt. March 20, 1832, Ontario, died abt. 1908? Ontario). Their date of marriage is still unknown.
      So, only one post to go! What else would you like to know that could speed this process??

showart

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 April 09 08:09 BST (UK) »
I think that I have some photos somewhere of Georgina's descendants.

Didn't they move to London?

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 April 09 08:24 BST (UK) »
PS

Your friend will be related to the two other people that I mentioned. I think Georgina was probably born in Canada because John and Jean left KKD in 1826. I have ref to them in a book somewhere and I'm sure Georgina wasn't listed.

Have you read my other thread on the family - descendants of John's brother/step brother, Samuel:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,356098.0.html

Gadget