Author Topic: Burgess-Spalding - a puzzle/condundrum  (Read 33601 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burgess-Spalding - a puzzle/condundrum
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I haven't got the full quote from the letter on my laptop but it implied that he'd gone off and deserted the family.  John said that he felt sorry for Euffie and the family and if she came over, he'd give her a cow and a bit of land.

Thomas (b. 1823) worked on James's farm in the mid-late 1840s.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:13 GMT (UK) »
He must have run very far or changed his name - nowhere to be found, except in America? Some possibilities there, although I haven't looked at all of them. One was for a Samuel Burgess, miner, with a family, who left from Liverpool. None of the names looked familiar though.
Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Its great that you have those letters. Poor Euffie .....a cow is better than a 'dog' I suppose  :'(
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Samuel didn't go with them and I have the history of the family from when they arrived in Canada.

This is the closest that I've got:

I have found a death cert for a Samuel Spalding Burgess, June 1858, Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire:

Described as a stay maker, aged 80, Parents -----------Burgess, farmer (deceased) and
----------------m.s. Spalding (deceased). The informant was Grace Burgess, widow.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this thread on just the decendants of Thomas:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,356098.0.html

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 February 09 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget, since it's a new day  :)

I did see your note about Samuel the staymaker - I guess the fact his wife was given as Grace kinda confused me, until you explained that he might have been a bit of a philanderer? This seems to be a very likely match given that there are not many Samuel Spalding Burgesses around at that time, and his 'behavior'!

Thank you too for the link to your discussions on the England board - I don't go there often so would have missed it. Back to the drawing board, although I have done some work on the Burgesses in Canada while looking for links to mine ..... didn't pursue yours much further when I realized that I was loosing sight of my own lot! You have so much on your Burgesses already that my chatter is just additional noise - I am interested though - Burgess, Coltart, Smith, McTaggart -Kikmahoe, Parton ......

Scatza

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 February 09 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Tut, I meant Canada Board  ::)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 February 09 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, Scatza, do you have the link of the reference to Mrs Samuel Spalding, please?

Gadget

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 February 09 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Gadget,
I'm not sure if the mean the Spaldings, or Samuel Spalding Burgess married to Euphemia Coltart and then possibly Grace?  If you mean the latter, then I was referring to what you posted re him possibly being a staymaker, and also what you posted regarding a possible death for him.  If you mean  Euphemia Coltart Burgess in Canada (Mrs. Samuel Burgess as she is referred to), then it was the 1850/51? census for New Brunswick. Samuel and Euphemia are also named  as the parents of one of their children who married in Canada in the marriage registration ..... can't remember offhand which one, but if you mean any of these let me know and I'll dig deeper ....
Sctaza