Author Topic: Burgess-Spalding - a puzzle/condundrum  (Read 33600 times)

Offline showart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burgess-Spalding - a puzzle/condundrum
« Reply #27 on: Monday 27 April 09 06:03 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Gadget,
     I believe the BURGESS-LAWSON litter set up shop mostly in Grey County, Ontario, specifically Bentinck Twp., Glenelg Twp., and environs. Perhaps subsequent generations lived in London (Ont.). I have tried to concentrate my efforts initially on my friend's main line so I can't say for sure yet.

showart

Offline showart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 April 09 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
      If I were a betting man, I'd wager that Geogina was born in Scotland. Using the 1852 and 1881 censuses, Georgina was listed in both instances as having been born in Scotland.
     If indeed she was christened in Balmaclellan, Kirkcudbright, March 10, 1826 (and I must admit I took that from another website), she could have been born several weeks earlier and still been part of the family's emigration to Canada after sailing conditions improved in April and May of that year. I have been able to narrow the date of arrival to only 1826-28, based on the birth dates of Georgina and her sister Anne (Nichola Anne?), who was born in Canada in 1828. Do you know of a sailing date for the family in 1826?

showart

Offline CanadianStoddart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 May 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
I found this discussion on a google search while looking for info on Ontario Burgesses. I am connected to John Burgess b. 1816 son of John Burgess and Jean McDougal. John Burgess b. 1816 married Mary (Stoddart) Ramage in Toronto Ontario. The Ramage and Burgess families had a connection that seems to stem from Scotland.
Mary Stoddart was born in Wiston and Roberton near Crowfordjohn, Lanarkshire. I am interested in conversing with anyone else with info on this line.
John Burgess died in Richview, Peel County, Ontario. He was a postmaster there.

Thanks.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 May 09 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi  and welcome  :)

I'll PM you my e-mail.

See the other thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,356098.0.html

Also - message for showart - I checked my records and Georgina was b. 26 Feb 1826 in Balmaclellan. I think they crossed over in June 1826 - info buried somewhere. I found it online in a listing from an early book on immigrants to Canada but although I've just searched on the same website, I can't find it   :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CanadianStoddart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 May 09 02:38 BST (UK) »
As a new member I don't have the ability yet to retrieve personal messages.

I can however, continue a dialogue on this forum about the Burgess family of Ontario.

There is a pioneer cemetery in Ontario called, Chinguacousy Township, E Side of Torbram Rd, N of Steeles Ave . Gravestones were transcribed in 1974 before they were removed and replaced by a plaque.

Names recorded are: Burgess, Burkholder, Cunnington, Ewing, Lindsay, Mercer, Ramage, Stoddart, and Willocox.

Offline CanadianStoddart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 May 09 03:02 BST (UK) »
The cemetery cited was called the Grahamsville Old Methodist Cemetery and was located on Lot 2 Concession 6 East. Chingaucousy Twp., Peel County, Ontario.

Today all there is is a plaque with the names of those recorded on the original stones. The original stones were supposedly removed by the city of Brampton, Ontario and stored but several Stoddart descendants have tried for two decades to locate them through the city of Brampton without success.

Presumaby the bones of those interred remain. As of ten years ago when I visited the site nothing had been built over them but that event may be inevitable. Land prices in the area are skyrocketing.
This is on the edge of the city of Toronto where little vacant land remains.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 May 09 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I received your e-mail and will send you some detailed info over the next few days. This is mainly from paper files so I'll need to type it up.

The names Ramage, Ewing and Stoddard are certainly familiar. 

I'm not clear whether you are a descendant of John Burgess or of the Stoddards. I don't have as much info on the non-Burgess families - only the 'married in' ones but I do have some dates, etc.

I am descended from John' snr's  brother James who remained in the UK. Much of my early information on the Canadian Burgesses  came from John's descendants in Canada which I've checked for accuracy over the last few years.

Gadget

PS - now you've posted 3 times, you'll be able to PM me on this site as well.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline CanadianStoddart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 May 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
HI Gadget,
I am a descendant of the Stoddarts but my ggg grandfather John Stoddart's sister  was married to John Burgess b. 1816, the brother of your James b. 1819.

All of the data I have found so far on him (John b. 1816) shows his wife as being Mary Ramage and doesn't note her maiden name of Stoddart. She was a widow of James Ramage when she married John Burgess.

There is a Burgess researcher in Edmonton, Alberta who had posted some information years ago on my line of Burgesses but I have been unable to locate a current email address for him.

Your James Burgess (wife Jane Murray Ramage) named a daughter Janet Padkin Burgess. My John Burgess (wife Mary Stoddart Ramage) also named a daughter Janet Padkin Burgess.

The Burgess/Ramage connection is intriguing. I would like to know who Jane Murray Ramage's parents were.

Margaret

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 May 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Ummmm. I  think there's a few crossed wires. my James was b.c.  1779 and married Jean Carson in Nov 1807. His brother was John Burgess b.c. 1784 who married Jean McDougall (variations). John and Jean emigrated to Canada in 1826. My James stayed in Kirkcudbrightshire and moved to Wales in 1833.

The Edmonton researcher is a long standing contact, the descendant of John (b.c. 1784). With more information becoming available, I've since found that some of her information on a few of the Canadian descendants is incorrect. I've not been in touch for a while. I think they moved on to research another line.

I'll see what I have about Jane Murray Ramage but i don't think I have a great deal.

Regards

Gadget