Author Topic: * COMPLETED* WW1 can anyone identify my grandad's regiment with his cap badge?  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Terry A.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
* COMPLETED* WW1 can anyone identify my grandad's regiment with his cap badge?
« on: Wednesday 18 February 09 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone I'm the new kid (use that word loosely) on the block. I would really like to know which regiment my grandad served in during WW1, this is the only photo I have of him in uniform. As you can see the cap badge isn't very clear but I'm sure, with what I've read in the forum, that someone will know exactly !!   Thanks Terry A.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 can anyone identify my grandad's regiment with his cap badge?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry welcome to Rootschat and the armed forces board.
The image is, as you say, none too clear but I would suggest that it may well be the regimental badge of The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire), hopefully someone will pop in and either confirm this or come up with another regiment.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Terry A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Old Rowley, I forgot to point out that he lived in Miles Platting, manchester at the time, and also as you can see I've entered it on the WW2 board!!! well I am new....lol..Terry A.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 00:40 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't worry too much on where you have posted this Terry (and too be honest I had not noticed  ;D ) as for  your granddad coming from the Manchester area it did not always follow that someone joined the nearest regiment. My own grandfather was born and raised in Bethnal Green East London but enlisted in the Dorsetshire Regiment.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Terry A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 February 09 17:32 GMT (UK) »
To OLd Rowley....thanks a lot for the lead...he was indeed in the LOYAL Reg. North Lancs.  My freind, who is doing my family tree, looked his name up in the regiment and it was confirmed, even got his reg no. off his medal card.  So thanks once again..more questions to follow.....shortly..Terry A.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 February 09 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Only too pleased to have been of help Terry.

old rowley