Author Topic: Gypsy, Traveller, Circus, Fairground etc. website links  (Read 131264 times)

Offline JLH1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsy, Traveller, Circus, Fairground etc. website links
« Reply #72 on: Monday 10 December 18 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Today little is known of the English Traveling Circus's from the mid 1800's. I have read somewhere that one of my grandfathers traveled with one of them but cannot find the name of it. I hope that working on the Roots Message Boards some people and places can be filled in.
Thank You
Jim

ps seems most of the family was in the Heddington Wiltshire England area if that might help

Offline Al Ralph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
Has anyone any information on a circus called light or lights that toured around the southeast early 1800’s
Many thanks

Offline KayH8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 05 April 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Shb1,
I am a granddaughter of Lucy Bowman who was one of the Bowman’s youngest daughters. Both my grandmother and my mother (Joyce Andrews) have always told me that Alice (my great grandmother) died shortly before my birth in June of 1957.
I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Frederick Bowman and Alice Eleanor Williams, dated 17th February 1890. Ages given: Frederick 19 and Alice 18.
I also have a census from 1911 with the names of their children as follows: Herman (16), Harriett (14), Florrie (12), James (9), Alice (8), Ellen (7), Timothy (4), Lucy (2), Stella (infant). I know they had a younger son (Alf) who was not born at the time of this census.
The names and ages are all correct. The only thing which is not correct is the year of death of Alice which I have often seen mentioned as 1963/1964. My mother’s first cousin (Alf’s youngest daughter... Alice lived with him and his wife Jessie and three other children) confirmed to me that Alice died in 1957. So Alice was born July 1871 and passed in the first half of 1957... she was 85 when she died.

I have a couple of photo’s of her and a photo of her together with Frederick. My mother lost all the other photo’s from the Fred Beauman article and a few other photo’s which were hanging in my grandmother Lucy’s home. Any photo’s you, or anyone else, has for me would be very greatly appreciated!!

If anyone wants to get in touch with me about anything I have stated here and/or to send me information and/or photo’s... please leave a message on this forum and let me know. I have only just this afternoon signed up here and so I have no idea how we can contact eachother.

Greetings, Kay

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 29 May 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Al Ralph, 'Light' is a Romany gypsy name, there is a group called RTFHS who also have a facebook page and Im thinking if you post on there somebody may have info to help. Also the Romany heritage page on fb, although its not searchable so hit and miss if somebody sees your post before its pushed down by other posts.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:37 BST (UK) »
Today little is known of the English Traveling Circus's from the mid 1800's. I have read somewhere that one of my grandfathers traveled with one of them but cannot find the name of it. I hope that working on the Roots Message Boards some people and places can be filled in.
Thank You
Jim

Jim, on the contrary, a lot is known about the English Travelling Circuses, you just have to know where to look ;-)  What info do you have and what are you looking for?
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.