Author Topic: BARTLETT of Closworth  (Read 7659 times)

Offline grananne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BARTLETT of Closworth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 March 09 08:21 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your helpful advice, Kells
Smith, Pearson, Obee, Beazley, Forbes, Mcdonald, Sutherland, Geddes, Newcombe, Barrett, Bartlett, Sherratt, Stevens, Rowe, Kinze, Wood,

Offline grananne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 March 09 08:23 GMT (UK) »
that should have read, "thank you for your helpful advice Krisesjoint" - I hope eventually to get used to the way this all works....
Smith, Pearson, Obee, Beazley, Forbes, Mcdonald, Sutherland, Geddes, Newcombe, Barrett, Bartlett, Sherratt, Stevens, Rowe, Kinze, Wood,

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 April 09 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd join in as another bartlett from closworth researcher ( though currently stuck but newly excited by this thread...)

My great*2 grandfather was Joseph Paul Bartlett, born 1841 (though not yet tracked down on a birth cert) He appears with the rest of the clan in the census of 1841 & 1851 and appears to be a grandchild of James and Ann. I had been told that his father was Soloman, unlikely if the original post is correct. Joseph's marriage cert does not record a father so who were his parents? and is he an illegitimate child of Elizabeth, Mary or Sarah?

To confude things further I did find a possibility for Soloman Bartlett, a Royal Marine based in Devonport but of the correct age and origin. He has a family, making Jospeh a child left behind when his possible father joined up?

Any hints greatfully recieved

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 April 09 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The only info I have on the Closworth Bartlett's has been given to me by someone else as I don't have access to the parish records, however what I do have shows Solomon Bartlett with a son Joseph born 1841. I re-read my first post and realise it looks like I'd given Solomon an early death date when in fact what I meant was a birth year range! My apologies!

I have further info for this Joseph, as married to Matilda Gillingham with 9 children born between 1860 and 1883. Does this sound like the one you are researching?

It could definitely be a link for Joseph to Solomon, more research would prove it. I no longer have access to a paid Ancestry membership so cannot access census records to check details, but then finding that link with Joseph (who is his mother??) to Solomon is the tricky bit!

If you want to send a personal message I'd be glad to correspond via email with you and share info.

Kelly  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 March 10 21:16 GMT (UK) »
only took 12 months - I have started transcribing the Closworth parish records re the Bartletts - Joseph Paul b 1840 is the illegitimate son of Elizabeth, no father given, and the other young ones in the 1851 census are all cousins ( ie James and Ann's grandchildren) but are all illegitimate. Hopefully I'll finally sort it out after a second visist next week but it looks as if Joseph  Bartlett (1762-1833) was James' father, and he was married to Merriam Young in about 1782. The children of this family seem to be a lot of james and Sarah coupled with a high infant mortality rate as well as a possible Richard. More next week...

Offline suein10b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 March 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks You. Look forward to further updates.
Emberley / Emberley Poole Dorset but any in the uk are of interest
Masters Stoford and Barwick Somerset and Poole Dorset
McClelland Liverpool Lancs and Newton Stewart Scotland
Gardiner Egremont Cumberland
Fox Mottisfont  area Hampshire and Devizes Wiltshire
Potts Bishopwearmouth Sunderland

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 March 10 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much teabag for sharing what you are finding in the parish records, I have always wanted to get to those but am several thousand miles away! I too look forward to anything else you might find there. Can I ask if you manage to find my Benjamin Bartlett c1806 (son of James and Ann) as I'd love to know his baptism date. Also interested in where Elizabeth, mother of Joseph, fits in there too. Have we got the right birth year for James (1786?).
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 March 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin Bartlett was baptised 8 June 1806. he was married twice ( both times in Dorset and therefore availible via findmypast) - first time to sarah Gillard on 24/2/1822 in Ryme Intrinseca 9 which is the adjacent village to Closworth), and then to Judith Childs on 22/9/1825 in Melbury Osmond. ben died and was bureid 7/12/ 1827 and Judith remarried on 20/10/1829 to James Loader in liilington, Dorset

James Bartlett was baptised on 23/12/1787 in Closworth and was married on 8 10/1805. He wss buried 15/4/1846 again in Closworth

pdf from rootsmagic availible if you message me with an e-mail (though it may take a day or to to find time to sort it all out)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 March 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much  :)

I wonder if a first marriage for Ben is right, he would have been 16 at the time! He was the father of my George Bartlett.

I've been looking into James' wife Ann Dollimount - I notice there are plenty of Delamont's in Hardington, wonder if I'm on the right trail but there was an Ann bapt 1784 to Levi Delamont (alias Gillam) and Grace nee Sibley (who was from Melbury Osmond).

Anyway thanks so much for your help, I'll send a PM with my email.

Cheers,

Kelly.