Author Topic: BARTLETT of Closworth  (Read 6843 times)

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BARTLETT of Closworth
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 March 10 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Ann is next on the list - was intending to saart looking next week ( lots of annual leave to use up by the end of the month!)

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 March 10 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry just spotted the typo - it is the correct Ben as he is recorded in the dorset records as born closworth - and I can find no other Ben Bartlett born in closworth ( this is the bit I've checked in detail as it was the most legible)

Looking at things here it would appear from the records that Jame's father is Joseph Bartlett - married to Merriam (who from stuff I got from the S&DFHS) was Merriam Young. Their dates are Joseph ( 1762 - 1833) & Merriam (1749 - 1821), with a marriage on 29/4/1782 in Closworth.

Hopefully a second trip will sort out some of this

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 March 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I just got all  your wonderful info!

My thinking about Benjamin is that if he did marry Sarah Gillard he would have been only 16, and this marriage says they are both of that parish (Ryme Intrinseca) so no indication he was from Closworth (and also spelt Barrett). I've put that one in the maybe but not definitely basket!

Great to know the earlier genealogy and ancestors of James. You are very fortunate to get the records from their original source. Interesting about all the illegitimate Bartlett children as well, nice to know where people from the census actually fit!

Thanks again,

Kelly.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 March 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
updates from the archives - selected highlights, I also have burials fot closworth and some yet unlinked in marriges as well as earlier stuff

Closworth Parish Records   Fiche 2/1/2
Baptisms    1716-1812   
Marriage   1758-1808
Burials   1784-1812

Joseph Bartlett and Merriam Young, both of this parish, banns were published in this church April14th, 21st and 28th and were married in the church April 29th 1782 by me N Bartlett, Rector the marriage being solemnised between Joseph Bartlett [his mark] and Merriam Young [her mark]

James Bartlett and Ann Dolimount, both of this parish were married in the church by banns on this 8th day of October 1805 by me N Bartlett, Rector the marriage being solemnised between James Bartlett [his mark] and Ann Dolimount [her mark]

Closworth Parish Records   Fiche 2/1/5
Marriage   1837-1926

No 6. The marriage was solemnised in the parish church of Closworth in the county of Somerset on 22 Sept 1840 between

William Allen    of full age    bachelor    labourer    Closworth    
father-George Allen shoemaker

Mary Bartlett of full age    spinster            Closworth    
father-James Bartlett labourer

No 18. The marriage was solemnised in the parish church of Closworth in the county of Somerset on 23 April 1850 between

Seth Bartlett    of full age    bachelor    labourer    Closworth    
father- James Bartlett labourer

Maria Ryall Gill of full age    spinster            Closworth    
father- Thomas Gill deceased

No 26. The marriage was solemnised in the parish church of Closworth in the county of Somerset on 26 June 1853 between

John [Boathmarkham] of full age bachelor labourer       Closworth
father- John [Boathmarkham] deceased

Susan Bartlett of full age       spinster        Closworth    
father- James Bartlett deceased

and from Hardington Mandeville Fiche 2/1/2 Baptism 1783-1805

Ann, dau of Levi & Grace Dollimont, born 7 Apr 1783, christened 11 Apr 1783
[Lewis] son of Levi & grace Delamont, born 23 Sept 1785, christened 25 Sept 1785
Jane dau of Levi & Grace Delamont, born 25 May 1788, christened 22 June 1788
Jonathon, son of Levi& Grace Delamont, born 5 Nov 1790, christened 22 Nov 1790

finally good point re benjamin's possible first marriage

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 March 10 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for sending all this, wonderful to be making so much progress with this family, your effort is greatly appreciated!
Did you get to look up the Melbury Osmond record of Levi Delamont's marriage to Grace Sibley? You probably already know the Dorset OPC site has parish records for MO online? Grace's parents were John and Elizabeth nee Smith. Puzzling that Levi was named as Levi Gillam (?).

What do you think about Joseph Bartlett (father of James)? Perhaps baptised in another parish? I note an earlier Joseph base born to Maisy but it seems too early? Anyway, lots of things to ponder.

Thanks again,

Kelly.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Pvcouch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 February 11 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Teabag - is it possible for you to lookup records for me on the Closworth data you have? Or let me know how you managed to get the records you have? I am looking for any Closworth information on the name Stickland. Also an FYI. A William Bartlett was a witness to the marriage of Mary Stickland from Closworth to George Hopkins in Cheddington 1839.

Look forward to hearing from you,
Clare