Author Topic: Help deciphering this maiden name **Completed, thanks**  (Read 2161 times)

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help deciphering this maiden name **Completed, thanks**
« on: Thursday 19 February 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'd be grateful to have any opinions about the maiden name of Mary Gibson. I think most likely it starts with Mc, but beyond that really struggling to create a name around what I think are the e and a in the middle.

I have tried to match it up with potential IGIs with no luck (although as I do not know where she is from in Scotland and her marriage doesn't appear to be on the LDS, I don't have much to narrow the search down), so would appreicate the help. 

Thanks, Jo

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering this maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 09 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I'd go for MCLEAN.

JAP

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 09 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I also think it's McLean

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 09 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I was about to post McLean as well.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 February 09 11:09 GMT (UK) »
You just beat me to it JAP - I"m sure that it is McLean ;)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 February 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Jo,

What's the date, place, etc ...

JAP
PS: Thanks everyone for the 'me too's - though it was an easy one.   ;D
And, reading back (I have a self-imposed rule never to read any of the text or responses on handwriting requests - makes handwriting challenges more fun) I see that you virtually had it yourself Jo as you had picked MCxEAx!

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 February 09 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone,

It is nice to hear such confident responses, as that was one of the names I suggested to another family researcher and it was pretty much dismissed so it was something I wrote off too.

JAP- the death certificate is her daughter's from 1866 (Paisley).  According to the census returns her daughter (Helen/Ellen) was born in Mearns and Matthew Gibson was born in Houston.  If the most likely 1841 record I have found for Matthew and Mary is right Mary was born out of the county, and with the rounded age and a name like McLean I don't think I will be getting anywhere quickly!

I guess I was lucky with the another branch of the Paisley line as although the furthest generation back via censuses was also born out of the county, the parents on her death certificate, neatly fitted in with a specific family on the IGI giving me somewhere to focus future research.