Author Topic: WILLIAMS, JOHN Anglesey  (Read 9412 times)

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
WILLIAMS, JOHN Anglesey
« on: Wednesday 26 October 05 21:25 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a John Williams born in Anglesey in 1849 (Camaes I believe).  Son of William Williams.  It is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I have accumulated loads of BMD refs, and census summaries.

Just wondered, How many people out there are looking for their own John Williams and accumulating stuff on other JWs too.
Many heads better than one - could we work together somehow?
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAMS, JOHN Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 06 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cedas

I know what you mean about the Williams' in Anglesey !!    :-\

I have William Williams born 1842 <> in Llangristiolus. Not sur eof his father's name as there are so many in the area that I cannot make a definite choice. Pity we aren't all psychic and could have our ancestors sat on our shoulders saying "Yes, that's me! right there!" Wouldn't that make our life easier

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Renee.S

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I need rehab already!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 10:24 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for William (J) Williams born in Wales...  another needle in a haystack!  My Great-Great-Grandfather was born in 1862 and emmigrated to the US in 1880.
Williams, Allison, Shortz, Hill, Wilson

Offline tassiedevil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Welsh & Proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 08 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean Cedas, as I have spent over 17 years looking for the birth records of my G Grandfather John Williams, with no luck. I have even visited Wales twice looking at the records at the records offices, but with so may Wiliams, it ws mid boggling to say the least  ::) Here is what I have so far and as you can see, with no birth father, and no maiden name for his mother, it's a lost cause

1851 Census for Greenfeild, Holywell he was aged 26...birth year 1825
1855 He emigrated to Oz aged 28 aboard the Marco Polo, together with an Evan Williams aged 28 also...........................Johns birth year now 1827
1858 He married Elizabeth Liddell @ Northdown,Tas...aged 30...now b/yr 1828
1913 He died aged 89..................so now birth year 1824

So maybe you can see why I can't find him ::)

On the 1851 census, when he was working for James SIMON at Greenfield, Holywell, and living at Tai Coed 13 with his widowed mother Anne aged 65 & a pauper, her place of birth listed as Penlan, Anglesey, while Johns was given as Ceirchiog, Anglesey.

On the census the Simon Family of Greenfield Farm, was listed as no 197 while Tai Coed 13 was listed as no 192

I also  found an Owen Williams aged 38 born Ceirchiog, living at 122 Ravenyard. Could this be his brother?

I am assuming his father was named Richard from the naming of his children (listed below)with wife Elizabeth.

1...Anne  (his mothers name
2..Richard
3.. Hugh....(his father-in-law)
4..John...( himself)
5...Elizabeth..(his wife)
6..William
7..Alice Louisi
8.. Jane May
9..Email Agnes.. ( Agnes from Liddell side)
10..Andrew Owen.

Cheers, Tassie
Williams, Anglesey and Holywell
Steven , Glasgow
Liddell, Paisley Abbey,Scotland
Lawson, Glasgow
Fitzsimons, Toronto & Glasgow

Offline Fue

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Jane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cedas

Well if you are doing a poll, I am looking for a William Charles Williams who was apparently born Worcester 1820-30s ( ??? ) and then migrated to South Wales. The only census he was on was the 1881 Welsh census, married to Norah (nee Hearn late Ford).

I have been trying to find 'WCW' as I affectionately call him, for about 5 years now and I can just imagine him laughing at me from beyond and often wonder if he just put ' Worcester' on the 1881 census for a laugh :-\

Fue
Williams (S. Wales/Worcester)
Eagles (Gloucester/Liverpool),

S. Wales/Devon/Somerset:
Havard, Hortop, Jenkins, Martin, Marshall, Lethbridge, Hearn/Hern

Northampton/Leicestershire
Ainge, Barker,Stevenson, Allan, Dickens

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 February 09 09:46 GMT (UK) »
3.5 years after my first post... I have found my John Williams' birth in Llanbadrig 1849, found his parents' marriage also Llanbadrig - they were William Williams and Mary Hughes.  Can't find WW's birth yet - 1841 census says "of this parish" ie Llanbadrig, 1851 says he was born in Landrygarn, 1861 has what looks like Bordwyn, marriage lines say he was from Aberffraw.......

to make matters even more amusing - John Williams born 1849 was son of William Williams and Mary Hughes.  JW married in 1871 - guess what his wife's name was?  Mary Hughes  daughter of John Hughes and Elizabeth Williams - give me another few years and I might work this lot out ;D
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline Fue

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Jane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 February 09 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ceda

When I first read your post, I thought 'great for you, giving hope to the rest of us' but then as I read on ...what a nightmare and so confusing, it really does get the grey matter going. 

I must admit I did not see the date you first posted, I just saw 'Williams' and like you was looking for anything that could help my tree.

I forgot to tell you that I have Williamses on both sides of my tree so double the nightmare  :-\

I wonder if anyone will be brave enough to set up a database just for the Williams name  :o
or are there just to many Johns, Elizabeths, Marys and Williams to compound the problem?

S. Wales/Devon/Somerset:
Havard, Hortop, Jenkins, Martin, Marshall, Lethbridge, Hearn/Hern

Northampton/Leicestershire
Ainge, Barker,Stevenson, Allan, Dickens

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glen o

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 February 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
hi my john williams from around vally area  late 1800s with children  names where albert beatrica florance my naine was elizabeth  dont know johns wife name she died when her children where very young the only info i have they once lived at a cottae called valley bach        ::)cheers glenys owen
owen and  williams   anglesey          brooks lancs  sporston cheshire

Offline Fue

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Jane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 February 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glenys

Do you know what John's occupation was?

S. Wales/Devon/Somerset: