Author Topic: Death of Eliza Eyre in the 1860s  (Read 1169 times)

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Eliza Eyre in the 1860s
« on: Friday 20 February 09 14:41 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.  I'm searching for the death of my forebear ELIZA EYRE, nee Bembridge, which occurred sometime between the 1861 census and the end of 1866.   None of the BMD death entries for that name relate to the areas in which she lived.

Eliza was the wife of William Eyre, a toll keeper.  In 1851 they were living in Nottingham, but by 1858 had moved to Ridgeacre, Halesowen (Birmingham).  On the 1861 census they were at the turnpike house, Brettle Lane, Brierley Hill.  The last trace I can find of Eliza is the baptism entry of her only surviving child, William Warrener Eyre, which took place at St Mary's, Lichfield, in July 1866 when the boy was nine years old.  The register entry gives the father's occupation as tollgate keeper and address as Upper St John's Street, Lichfield.

Eliza may have died before her son was baptised, but there is nothing to suggest this.  She was certainly dead before the end of 1866, because her husband re-married in January 1867 at St Michael's church, Lichfield.  His address is shown as St John's Street.

Other than applying for all the death certificates relating to various Eliza Eyres in the 1860s, I'm stumped as to how I can discover my forebear's death date, so any help and/or suggestions would be very welcome.

- judijee

ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Eliza Eyre in the 1860s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 February 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I havent any great ideas - but at present cant see the 1861 census - have you got the ref? Nor can I see the birth of William Warrener Eyre. Just hunting around for clues.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 09 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi lizdb

Thanks for responding.  The 1861 census ref. is Stourbridge district (Kingswinford sub-district,  Brierley Hill ecclesiastical district) RG09-2072 folio 39, page 1. 
Eliza Eyre is recorded as aged 47, born Darley, Derbyshire; her husband William is 46, born Nottingham; and their son is William Warrener Eyre, aged 3, born Ridgeacre, Worcestershire.

The child was my gt-grandfather.  I have his birth certificate: 3 June 1857.  The BMD entry is Stourbridge, September quarter 1857 (the entry is incorrectly shown as Wiliam H. Eyre).

Although Eliza was born at Darley (now Darley Dale) she had left by 1841, when she was living in Nottingham.  She married William Eyre at Snenton, Nottingham, on 15 May 1842, and William jnr was their only surviving child.

- judijee

ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 February 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Judijee

Beacause people moved around so much in those days for work.Is there a possibility she died away from home (2 of my ancestors did) or on a visit elswhere.
On the U.K B.M.D there is only one Elizabeth(Eliza) Eyre death between the years given 1861/66

Elizabeth Eyre Death 1865 no age given  Dis Hunslet Reg Yorkshire Leeds.

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 February 09 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

There are five relevant death entries for the name Eliza Eyre on freeBMD - Chesterfield 1861; East London 1862; West Derby (Liverpool) and Rotherham, both 1864; and Sheffield, 1865.  By looking for individual Eliza Eyres on the 1861 census I think I can now rule out four of those, leaving the Rotherham death.  Only trouble is, nothing in my research suggests that 'my' Eliza and her husband Wlliam moved beyond the west Midlands, where William worked as toll gate keeper at Halesowen, Kingswinford, and finally Perry Bar in Birmingham.  To my knowledge, they had no links at all with the Rotherham area.

However, there is only one way to find out....

Thanks for your response  ;)

- judijee