Poll

Do you think RootsChat will be of some help to you?

Yes
1452 (90.7%)
No
13 (0.8%)
Don't know
136 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 1578

Author Topic: Will RootsChat be of help to you?  (Read 221840 times)

Offline granny13

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Will RootsChat be of help to you?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 20 May 04 18:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the site, I am a fairly new member but everyone is so friendly helpful people just can't fail to love it.

Jean

Offline waralan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 May 04 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
       Yes Roots Chat has been helpful to me, though I think I have become a boring guest.
        What has proven hard to me is that while I know my grandfather was born Aug. 13, 1865 in Lincolnshire,  I know nothing of his parents.
        I know he arrived in the States in 1901.  I also know he married my grandmother in McLean County, North Dakota, in 1908.
         Furthermore I ran off a 1930 census list for Horse Shoe Valley Township in 1930.  He is listed as being 65 years old.
        I know he died in the same township of McLean County in 1952.  I am not sure of the exact date, but I could get a copy from our State capital in about a week.
      Having said all that, what is really confusing is how to fill in the blanks.

Rutter name

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 22:27 BST (UK) »
 :)Hi
I think you have a great site here, and I have found it really useful.
I love the fact that it gives us all a chance to help others who don't happen to live near to the location of their research, and those who are only just starting in this mad, addictive world that we call 'genealogy' (my hubby calls it 'trawling the dead!!!!!!)
Keep up the good work :-\
Anne

Website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~annesgenealogy/index.html
Researching Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Egmore, Plunkett and Bone in Norfolk and Suffolk
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline waralan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      Yes Roots Chat has been a help to me, albeit a guide.
       What makes things differencult is I keep comming up with slighly different dates for his birth.
Rutter name

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 July 04 10:54 BST (UK) »
I have been a memeber of rootsChat for about a month?, i have met more people researching the same tree and found out more info on my family in that month than i have in a year of using other sites.

This is an excellent site, keep up the good work!!

Kath x
FEWELL - FEWEL - FUELL -  FUEL ALL AREAS
KENNAIRD - KENNARD - BANCE OF KENT & SUSSEX
DOWNES - TWIN - CHILDS OF ESSEX
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON
PEARCE - FURZELAND - PARSONS OF SOMERSET
CLARKE - GILOOLLY OF PERTHSHIRE
McHUGH-McHUE-McCUE - GILOOLLY OF IRELAND

Offline cowboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 July 04 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
Having registered only a week or so ago, I haven`t broken through my brick wall yet, but browsing through the postings it seems to be one of the friendliest sites i`ve visited,and there is a wealth of information and advice to hand.
Things can only get EVEN
I would be greatful for any details on the following,Pextons in sheffield,kirkburton/kirkheaton, and hull.

cheers Ian.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 July 04 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
just wanted you all to know with the help of this site I have just sent off for 2 more birth certs. and I wait with bated breath that after  many years of family cover ups I am about to finde my Grandfathers  parents If this is the right birth cert I have been looking for a man 10 years older than he realy was and looking in Ireland when he was born on my doorstep thank you so much for all your help and I will keep my fingers crossed that this is him cant wait for the postman crazy or what
audrey

Offline Rosiedim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 July 04 23:03 BST (UK) »
This site is the best thing since blue smarties!  It's like having a genealogical encyclopaedia right there to look through.  Congratulations, as someone else said it can only get better!   Once question, why when I click on faces do they appear in my box as letters?   ???

Moderator Comment: Ah, but mysteriously they then change back into little smilie faces again :)

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 13:35 BST (UK) »
 :D I have been using Rootschat for a couple of weeks now and have found it really useful.
Thanks to the kindness of other users, I have managed to find some of my grandmothers cousins who emigrated to the USA. Now all I have to do is deduce their living offspring!  ::)
Unlike other sites, the structural breakdown into well monitored geographical areas means that when you post questions, help is much closer than you think.
Best of all there are no annoying adverts that rob you of bandwidth, wasting time and money >:(. Those of us with landline limitations due to our UK location really appreciate this. I especially like the self-help hyperlinks that are posted.
 ??? Maybe a 'nice to have' feature could be a notification icon when someone is looking into a question for you. Say the shield from their profile flashes near your question title that can be turned on and off by the helper? This is not a negative comment as by the way people on this site have responded so far, it would not surprise me if some well thought out solution doesn't appear post haste!
Geoff.  ;D
All lookups are crown copyright