Poll

Do you think RootsChat will be of some help to you?

Yes
1452 (90.7%)
No
13 (0.8%)
Don't know
136 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 1578

Author Topic: Will RootsChat be of help to you?  (Read 222949 times)

Offline Pollynation

• RootsChat Senior
  • The picture that started it all
    • View Profile
Re: Will RootsChat be of help to you?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 08 August 04 21:41 BST (UK) »
i think this site is brilliant. i found it by accident really. was on another site when a link came up, so i looked. I have been stuck on both mine and my husband's trees. within 3 days of posting a question on this site i had full information for relatives and census details.

The people on here are all so helpful if at all possible, want to say a big  thankyou to "Liam" for all his help.

Pauline

Atkinson/Mountney/Gardner/Mellor/Finch/Higham-Lancashire
Cooper/Price-Shropshire
Lund/Foster/Wilkinson/Crawforth-Yorkshire
Calvert-Durham

Whoever said seek and ye shall find was NOT a genealogist.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 14 August 04 18:33 BST (UK) »
I have been a menber of this amazing site since it started I have very limited knowledge of computers so in order to get the best out of a site it needs to be easy to use not everyone picks things up like you young ones I promote this site to everyone I talk to the people are so helpfull and friendly and I have had loads of help all for nothing my grandmother used to say you never get owt for nowt how I wish she were hear today so I could prove her wrong
audrey

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 14 August 04 22:02 BST (UK) »
Audrey,

Thank you for your compliments - and for passing on RootsChat to your everybody too. The chances are, the more people that read a message on RootsChat, the more chance that somebody might have an idea that might help.

Your grandmother was right - you never get owt for nowt - the way that RootsChat works is by how helpful everybody else is - the more everybody mucks in, the more  the RootsChatters get out.

So let's all muck in, we can all help somebody some way or other, even if it's just a thought, a question, an inkling or just an idea.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 04:51 BST (UK) »
I think this has great promise for being a number I spot for ancestor hunting. You can sit for hours searching on your computer and become quite isolated from reality and its great to talk to others about ither your problems or theirs in your research.

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 10:43 BST (UK) »
I totally agree with you.

Another site I subscribe to (and pay for) is getting harder and harder for it's users to enjoy. A lot of bad feeling and back biting going on.

You don't need that on a genealogy site. This is a welcome oasis after going on there for a little while.

Diane :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 11:24 BST (UK) »
I'm glad you understand what I was trying to say. I always thought this was a friendly site and you don't feel and idiot if you make a tiny mistake. people are very helpful and friendly here. Long may it continue!!

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 11:34 BST (UK) »
I have found this site one of the most helpful.  I am quite happy with a couple of people who have gone out of their way to provide photos requests of places that I am unable to get to.  Especially the inscriptions inside St Mary's Church, Shalford, the graves in Bexley Heath, Kent and St Nicholas Church Southfleet grave.  A great big thankyou to those who assisted me.  The pics certainly enhance myproject as wellas providing very interesting information.

Reg
Canberra, Australia
Johnson: Scotland & Australia
Robertson: Scotland & Australia
Bedford: London, Surrey, Somerset, Kent, Kensington
Ash(e): Ireland, NSW Australia
Tooley: England, NSW Australia
Austen: Surrey (Shalford)
Jackson: Australia - Ulmarra, Cowper
Howard: Australia - Maclean
Reiley: South Bersted, London
O'Reilley: London & Melbourne Australia
Tubb: Berkshire
Paterson: Scotland, NSW Australia
Higginbotham: possibly England, South Australia, NSW
Tooley: London, Sydney Australia

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 27 August 04 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have hit a few brick walls over the last 3 years on variouse tree's  :( so i am hoping to knock some of these walls down with the help of this brilliant site and friendly people,but that will come later.I must say it's nice being able to chat to people about genealogy whith out boring them to death. Have any of you discovered the word that us genies should never use & newies should know about?I did, and only a few weeks ago i found i had gone up the wrong tree 2 years ago :'(
All that work wasted.,  and it wasnt the first time.what's the word?
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 27 August 04 23:59 BST (UK) »

Hi celia  :D

I also went up the wrong tree at one stage and the word I used could not be printed here! 8)

Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk