Author Topic: TG Moore 'The Manx Millionaire'  (Read 20312 times)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: TG Moore 'The Manx Millionaire'
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:09 BST (UK) »
Evelyn Moore's parents, Alexander & Jane Coustas lived in the Baron's Court area of west London until about 1957 then moved to the Isle of Man.  Alexander is listed in the 1963 telephone directory and shown to be living at The Bungalow, Ballasalla which I believe is a property on the Billown Estate.

Their deaths are listed in the Isle of Man death indexes, Douglas district.  Alexander died in 1967, Jane (Joanna) Argyris Coustas died in 1981.

Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 February 20 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I've just come across this thread.

Edith Mary Leslie Cunningham was a relative of mine. She was born in Belfast on 30 May 1880, only child of Thomas Cunningham (died 1 August 1895), Deputy Clerk of the Peace for County Antrim, and his wife Araminta Erskine Leslie (died 17 July 1927).

Araminta was the only daughter of William Leslie JP (1814-5 June 1880), manager of the Provincial Bank in Cootehill, Co Cavan, and High Sheriff of Cavan in 1875, and his wife Mary Erskine (d 1877), daughter of Moutray Erskine and Elizabeth Jane Wilson-Slator and widow of Henry Wilton. Araminta had one brother, William Moutray Leslie (died 19 November 1899), High Sheriff of Cavan in 1881 and a major in the Cavan Militia.

William Leslie was born in Rothes, Moray, son of William Leslie, mason, and Jean Slorach. I have 4 more generations of his Leslie ancestors in my database.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 February 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.  Always nice to add interesting detail.

Regards,
Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline PVDW

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 October 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

A major source of the manx millionnaire's wealth was a significant bequest left by his aunt Annie Quale Townend (see attached photograph) who died in Christchirch New Zealand in 1914.  Her estate was valued at c £800,000 and a large part of this (after stamp and estate duties of £190,225) was left to Thomas Hamilton Moore, her cousin.

I am trying to track down the document of the bequest which included a special duty stamp.