Author Topic: As they lived so close in 1841  (Read 3382 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
As they lived so close in 1841
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 07:46 GMT (UK) »
1841 census Westbury ADLAM's
Address 17 'Ellen Vale'
Stephen ADLAM 65 Woollen Weaver
William       "      20
Henry         "      10

and a few doors away at;
14 'EllenVale' is
Nathaniel ADLAM 30 Woollen Weaver
Fanny          "      35 (nee Frances BROWN)
Joseph         "        9
John            "        7
David           "        5
Hannah        "        2
Eli               "       10m

could it be assumed that Nathaniel at No 14 is a married son of Stephen at No 17?
Anyone know who Nathaniel's father was?
Were they baptists?
joboy ... still strugging with this one
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: As they lived so close in 1841
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 09 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Sydney Joboy ;D

Sorry cant help with this as there seems to be quite a few Adlams around at that time and 2 Nathaniels as well.

The one you have listed has someone else researching him ( found it while googling)

http://www.dilton-marsh.org.uk/people/list.php

This is what it says;

1810 ONWARDS NATHANIEL ADLAM b 1810 12 children. Married Fanny(nee ?) Lived in Dilton Marsh. Hand loom weaver

There is also one researcher just for Adlam name 1700's onwards from the area you are interested in :)
Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 09 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi joboy,

The only Nathaniel I can see is

Nathaniel ADLAM base born bap 12 Mar 1805 Dilton aged 1 Parents Nathaniel TOWNSEND and Hariot.

I see there are 2 Nathaniels in Westbury. In 1851 one aged 48 (wife Elizabeth) the other 41 (Wife Fanny) so looks like this is the other one. Unfortunately it appears there is very little coverage for Dilton records and for Westbury I have not been able to find any baptismal records for the right  time. I can see Westbury Marriages and no Stephen listed nor can I spot him elsewhere. (I do see the two Nathaniel's marriages listed.)

I would not make any assumptions that these two are father and son. Occupation was the same yes, but so are lots of others in the parish. In the early 40's I see marriages in Westbury listing fathers as James, John, Samuel and unnamed.  You will need someone visiting the records office or alternatively hiring the films in to your local LDS Family History Library to solve this I fear.

All the best......Kris  :)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 February 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I am familiar with the Dilton/Dilton Marsh site and upon revisiting today I find that amongst the names of parents and pupils at the 'Providence Chapel Sunday School'  there is 'Edwin Adlam son of Nathaniel and Fanny Adlam aged 8'.
The name listing does not have a specific date of publication but looking through it there are dates that range from 1837 to 1877 so from this information it is not possible to deduce when Edwin Adlam was born to Nathaniel and Fanny who appear to be the 1841 family living at 14 Ellenvale.Edwin may well have been born after that census.
Providence Chapel Sunday School was baptist as I understand it which does reinforce a relationship twixt Nathaniel and Stephen and offers a a possible reason for your statement Kris;
"Unfortunately it appears there is very little coverage for Dilton records and for Westbury I have not been able to find any baptismal records for the right  time. I can see Westbury Marriages and no Stephen listed nor can I spot him elsewhere. (I do see the two Nathaniel's marriages listed.)"
As I said previously (elsewhere) 'Baptists usually get baptised when the are of adult age.
Interestingly there appear to be no Adlam MI's in the old Dilton Church in the collection of such on the site but I dont believe that all the Adlams were baptists (GRIN).
joboy ... also in Sydney
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 09 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi joboy,

Good luck with Baptist records, perhaps that is where they are. I do not see them listed in the nonconformist index online although there are Adlams in Wiltshire

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

As I said there does not appear to be much about in the the parish churches C/E for Westbury and Dilton either. I see Adlam baptisms till 1731 in Westbury, from then just one in 1836 and starting again in 1863. I do not think it is just a lack of Adlam Records - but rather the records have not been transcribed.

There are ohh so many Adlam's buried in both Westbury and Dilton from the earliest records. I cannot see beyond 1837. Most amazingly for those times a Martha was buried in Dilton in 1772 aged 100.  ;D

Edwin does appear as Nathaniel's son in 1851 aged 6.

HO107/1842 Folio 266/267 Page 11/12
Diltons Marsh

ADLAM Nathaniel Head 41 Mar b Westbury Hand Loom Weaver
ADLAM Fanny Wife 40 b Westbury Weavers Wife
ADLAM Joshua Son 16 b Westbury Hand Loom Weaver
ADLAM David Son 14 b Westbury Farm Lab
ADLAM Hannah M Dau 13 b Westbury
ADLAM Eliz Daub 10 b Westbury Spinner
ADLAM Mary Dau 9 Scholar
ADLAM George Son 7 b Westbury Scholar
ADLAM Edwin Son  6 b Westbury Scholar
ADLAM Walter Son 4 b Westbury Scholar
ADLAM Rosa Dau 1 b Westbury
ADLAM Prudence Dau 3 Months b Westbury

Kris  :)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 February 09 05:54 GMT (UK) »
OK and by sheer attrition we have;
1841 census Westbury ADLAM's
Address 17 'Ellen Vale'
Stephen ADLAM 65 Woollen Weaver
William       "      20
Henry         "      10
now all the above events are 'pre 1837' so;
(1) Stephen's wife had probably died by 1841 or even sooner.
(2) If Nathaniel at no 17 Ellen Vale was his son by 1841 he     was well and truly married with family.
(3) My interests are with Ann Adlam whom it looks was born Penknap 1811 with a stated father 'Stephen'and was 40 years old at 1851 census Marylebone.
(4) Have found no other candidates 'Stephen' anywhere who would qualify as Ann's father.
(5) am now convinced that the absence of records for both Stephen and Nathaniel prior to 1841 is a strong indication that they were noncoformists.
(6) Ann Adlam was my 2GGM and left a strong religious leaning in her descendants (not baptist) but prominent in the Salvation Army.
Any input welcomed.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia