Author Topic: St Day Parish, Cornwall  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
St Day Parish, Cornwall
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday I stumbled across this website,

http://cornwallinscriptions.co.uk/index.html

I must admit it has been around for awhile.
And their is a link on this site.
But thats not the point. 
Im doing my happy dance because I found My GGG Grandparents Burial site.
Sad as it is with many graves this one has fallen and in need of repair.
May have been bombed in the War?

I would like to share as this has been a real bonus.

Thank you for your message and also for visiting our web site.

It does appear that this is the gravemarker for your GGG Grandparents.  It is located in the old churchyard of St. Parish.  The full wording on the memorial reads :

In affectionate remembrance of JOSEPH REED, late of Pennance, in this parish, who died March 29th, 1868, aged 74 years. Also ELIZABETH, wife of the above died March 29th 1869, aged 73 years. And I heard a voice from above saying unto me, write: Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth. Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours and their works do follow them.

Unfortunately, the memorial is in very poor condition. It has fallen on the ground and split into six pieces.  This made it rather difficult to transcribe!   It is made of slate and the monumental mason who made it was a firm called Vincent, Herness of Stithians.

Pennance is an area very near to St. Day – now within the parish of Lanner.

We do not normally do any family search – there are so many memorials - we just would not have time.  However, if people send us any genealogical info. pertaining to a memorial then we do put that in our records.

I have an oldish picture of the memorial – it is not a very good one and was taken in 2002.  When we next visit St Day we will try and get updated photos. I will send you a copy of the picture in a following mail.

cheers Floozy  :)

DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk