Author Topic: Look up parish records please for Murray in Kidderminster  (Read 1178 times)

Offline 51rushton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up parish records please for Murray in Kidderminster
« on: Sunday 22 February 09 12:00 GMT (UK) »
My Ancestor was Thomas Murray(his name on 1871 census) (On son's Marriage Cert he is named Walter John Murray).  On the 1871 census he is living in Sunningdale Old Windsor Surrey, with wife Emma and son Walter James. He lists his birthplace as Kidderminster and his age as 47 so he was born about 1824.  Now the problem; he does not appear on any other census, and I cant find a family of Murray living in Kidderminster on the census for any year. If someone is doing research in Kidderminster would they kindly look up Thomas (or Walter John) on the parish registers for me please. It is a long trek from Australia. I don't know what parish he would be in but he is most probably not registered in a Catholic church, but who knows? I wish to find his parents and any other info listed. He has been a dead end for me for many years.
Regards,
Fiona

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
Re: Look up parish records please for Murray in Kidderminster
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 February 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline 51rushton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 February 09 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
Thank you for your reply. I have seen this entry but have no way of verrifying it as there is no source. They may have taken the info off the 1871 census, like me. I want to be able to go back further so need his parents. I appreciate your help and will check out the site you gave me further.

regards,
Fiona

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 09 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Sory I couldn't help you more. 
Could Thomas [Walter] have been married before Emma? I noticed the difference in ages.

I dont want to muddy the waters and as you can't find him in the census it makes things difficult. He seems to have moved about . As did Emma. Maybe they went to London and met there.

Regards Wendy
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline 51rushton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 09 12:30 GMT (UK) »
hi wendy
Yes i have thought of that; we seem to be on the same wave length. Even if he was married before which does seem likely considering his age, I cant find a Thomas or Walter Murray born in Kidderminster on another census. I think that his marriage to Emma must have been within a few years of baby Walter's birth as he is the only child at home, but I cant find a marriage either. I have no idea when or where it would have taken place..
My next thought is that maybe he said kidderminster but was actually born in a nearby town.
His name would remain the same so I have looked in Worcherstershire for variations such as Thos, Tom, Walt, John. etc. Never having been to England I find it hard to make judgements which a local would consider common knowledge.
I figure if someone could look up his birth in Kidderminster parish records then that would be the next step. If he isnt there, then I am back to square one but I can stop getting hung up on the Kidderminster "fact". He is driving me crazy.
Thanks for your interest
Fiona