Author Topic: tracing info on a George Gibson  (Read 9808 times)

Offline xxFlyspotxx

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
tracing info on a George Gibson
« on: Monday 23 February 09 04:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find some information on a George Gibson, my grandfather, who lived in Kings Cross as an artist in a terrace house shared with other men around 1910-1925? Served in WW1 so I am told ain the Army as a sniper from what my mother has told me...But can't seem to find any record of him in army files..seems we can't even find a marriage certificate for him to my grandmother either! Maybe there's some skeletons somewhere and no-one is talking...
He was supposedly married to Elizabeth Richards and they had 3 children, a daughter and two sons. They moved to the Newcastle area where they raised there kids.George Gibson was said to have worked at the BHP in Newcastle but still can't find any records there either......Have traced all othere sides of family tree and to think my grandfather seems to appear invisible is frustrating to us all...Please help

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: tracing info on a George Gibson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 February 09 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flyspot  :)

Welcome to Rootschat  :D

Is this your mother's father that you are looking for?  Does she have a copy of her own birth certificate?  This would (hopefully) clear up whether or not Elizabeth Richards was married at the time of your mother's birth, and might show her father's name.

Have you gone through all the George Gibsons in the WW1 personnel dossiers on the NAA website?

Of course George Gibson may be an assumed name...anyway, your mum's birth certificate would be the sensible starting point  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline xxFlyspotxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 09 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanx for your reply Prue.....I have problems getting anything from my mum as she has alzheimers and we can't seem to find any documents she has . She is from the old school where you don''t tell family businessetc...Its going to be a tuff one to crack..LOL

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 09 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flyspot, 

My fathers side is exactly the same as yours,  they will not discuss info either,  so i am prob never going to find my grandfather either

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 09 07:12 GMT (UK) »
hi again

on the NAA site,  there is a George Gibson,  with N O K a Elizabeth Gibson,  well i think 2 ,  one of them the Elizabeth is his mother,  but the other has not been digitised, (maybe him )  says his dob 1923 in NSW.....

which brings me to the next questions..... was Goerge born in NSW ?  or even OZ,   do you have his death certificate,  should have some details on there eg..marriage status and how long ?    Could it be Elizabeth's 2nd marriage and her maiden name RIchards,  but married under married name ?  sorry to do this,  just thinking aloud .......

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia

Offline xxFlyspotxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 09 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanx Dazzi...
Can't be him tho the info seems ironic.....he was in WW! so thats before that birthdate..LOL
George Gibson would have died somewhere around 1956? and Elizabeth Gibson (my grandmother) in 1957/58 in Newcastle.NSW.Aus

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 February 09 08:28 GMT (UK) »
There's only one Elizabeth Gibson in the NSW Deaths Index who died in Newcastle between 1950 and 1960. She died in 1960. Unfortunately , her parents' names are not listed.

And there are three George Gibsons  who died in Newcastle between those years.

You can check for yourself at http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

It may be that your only way forward is to get hold of a copy of your mother's birth certificate.

Another thought is to try to contact one of the sons and see if they have any more information.

Dee

Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xxFlyspotxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 February 09 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanx deeiluka....I know who Elizabeth Gibsons parents are...its Elizabeth husband George that is the mystery.....have another clue tho...he was believed to have been born in Windsor outside of Sydney.....but the Gibson surname may be phony......seems he has a cousin with a different surname and their dads were brothers? LOL..
One of the sons died last year and the other is aged and an not well, his memory's are useless.....seems I remeber more than he does...

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 February 09 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fly

The reason that Dee suggested getting your Elizabeth's  birth cert,  was although you have her parents,  it will give you other info,  confirm marriage ect, 

Daizi